7 Korean Trends I Just Had to Steal | The Odyssey Online

7 Korean Trends I Just Had to Steal

Cherry-tinted lips, classy tops, and coffee cups make the best accessories.

187
7 Korean Trends I Just Had to Steal

Super long outerwear coats

In South Georgia, especially places well below the "gnat line" like Valdosta, the weather is never cold enough to require a full set of winter clothes. Even when things do get on the colder side, most girls don't break away from the same old Columbia jacket. Winter in Korea is freezing and snow isn't uncommon, so super long, super chic overcoats are extremely popular. The most common colors I saw when traveling were black, gray, camel, and pastels.

BB cream

It’s not uncommon for Georgia girls to coat their faces in a thick layer of Sephora foundation with little to no SPF. In general, American style makeup is much heavier, whereas Korean makeup looks more natural and dewy, giving off a softer makeup look. While there is plenty of foundation in Korean beauty stores, BB Cream and BB "air cushions" (like the IOPE one pictured above) are more popular. These BB cushions can give different ranges of coverage depending on the product, are packed with tons of skin food, and have an SPF of at least 35.

Lip tint/stain

Pigmented, matte lips are definitely all the rage in the South nowadays; Sometimes, however, I want to have a lot of color without FEELING like I'm wearing a product. Korean beauty brands like "Tony Moly" and "Etude House" are extremely popular for their pigmented, long-lasting lip tints. These lip tints essentially look like a gel or ink in a dainty little tube or bottle, and the most popular colors I have seen are reds and pinks. Lip tints can be applied evenly to create a deep "stained" color all over the lips, but the tint can also be focused at the pout to give lips an "I just got done eating a cherry lollipop" gradient effect.

Matching tights and heels

To be honest, I feel like most girls in South, GA don't wear tights with skirts and dresses for two reasons. One: We generally have hot weather 10 out of 12 months of the year, so when it's mini skirt season, we need bare legs underneath to avoid heatstroke. Two: A lot of people just don't have much style here during the winter (sorry but your Northface doesn't count). When I was in Korea, all of the girls wore black or navy tights with matching heels. Even though the tights and heels thing seems like such a simple concept, it gives dresses and skirts a classy spin and makes them Audrey Hepburn-worthy.

Collared dresses & blouses

While Korea is quite keen on the mini skirt trend, necklines tend to stay on the higher side compared to the necklines on shirts I see in American stores. This high neckline makes for a modest and classic appearance (not that there is anything wrong with low-cut tops). I feel that everyday Korean fashion is simplistically chic. The high necklines on some of the Korean-style blouses and dresses I have seen or bought are often created with ruffles, faux collars, lace, or ribbons, and they are perfectly paired with every other trend on my list.

Circle frame glasses

We all know that in America, the secretary style, square or rectangular black glasses are generally considered the most stylish go-to glasses for women. When I was in Korea, however, I noticed over-sized, circular frames were worn by everyone, and I really loved how the style looked. These frames give off a cuter, more quirky vibe than the standard rectangular glasses I see most people wearing here, and the frames also do a better job of showing off your eyes. Another thing is that they're just plain cool.

Coffee is an accessory

The coffee culture in South Korea is no joke; I noticed there was a coffee shop on EVERY street corner, and they were just as easy to run into as restaurants when I was traveling. In the popular areas like Myeongdong, Hongdae, & Gangnam, there are so many unique cafes with different themes that it makes it impossible not to turn a trip to the coffee shop into a photo session. In South Korea, the lattes are just as lovely as the clothes and girls, so coffee makes for an awesome photo prop or instapic.