7 Inspirational Women Of Color That Deserve Recognition

Beyonce had it right when she said "Who run the world? Girls."

130
Human Nature Magazine

The start of the year always holds a special place in my heart, because in back to back months, we recognize two identities that define me. February is a month to celebrate Black History, even though that's every day. And that same sentiment holds true in regards to Women's History Month in March. Every day, we are able to be touched by the work and achievement completed by inspirational women all across the world, whether it is your mother, sister, friend, mentor or favorite celebrity. Beyonce had it right when she said "Who run the world? Girls."

1. Aja Naomi King

Aja's opportunity to shine really emerged from How To Get Away With Murder, and she has not disappointed. Although she has been a part of numerous pieces, she really has received recognition recently. She is an actress you don't want to overlook.

2. Yara Shahidi

She's out here doing it for the youth. Yara is an inspiration to our generation by showing us how to be an uplifting positive spirit. Her work as Zoey in Black-ish is crafted meticulously to show a teenage girl that we all can relate to in some sense. Her journey has just started, and it looks to be long.

3. Tracee Ellis Ross

Her mother is Diana Ross, and she has still managed to find her own way to success. I grew up watching Girlfriends, as I'm sure many other people did too. The show manages to still excite me and my friends, as if we haven't seen the episodes hundreds of times. We even go as far to compare who we would be in the show. But her inspiration doesn't end when that show goes off. She is the star of Black-ish too. Tracee has delivered to our screens an uplifting image of blackness and black womanhood that isn't always portrayed in the media.

4. Issa Rae

You know you're in the Information Age, when you're able to launch yourself into fame by developing your own Youtube platform. Both Issa Rae and her content are relatable, which is key to capturing an audience. When Insecure premiered, it was the hot topic. She had everyone wondering if they had reached the point in their life where their friend had to perform a rap about them at open mic. She had us pondering our own situations, while becoming invested in the storyline. She is a ray, and she has a bright future ahead of her.

5. Viola Davis

Viola Davis has been in the game longer than I have even been alive. She not only has a presence on the screen, but off it too. She embodies humility and poise to a T. Think about your favorite movie or show, and she was probably in it. What can Viola not do?

6. Taraji P. Henson

Our very own Taraji. She hailed from Washington, D.C. and graduated from Howard. She has been a staple in my life growing up, as she has been featured in numerous movies. Her range is powerful. Taraji can go from Baby Boy to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button to Think Like A Man. And how could we even forget her role as Cookie Lyon? In 2016, Time named Taraji as one of the 100 most influential people in the world, and rightfully so.

7. Ava DuVernay

She was commissioned to create a film for the opening of the National Museum of African American History and Culture. She directed Selma, about the 1965 Selma to Montgomery march. She directed the powerful 13th documentary that discussed how even if slavery ended, society has managed to find loopholes within the 13th amendment. Need I say more?

Because of the succession of Black History Month and Women's History Month, it seemed right to honor these intersectional women. Clearly, this is no exhaustive list of inspirational black women. This is a snapshot of a few exceptional women in the entertainment industry who have provided us with an opportunity to see our success come to fruition. Even if we still are having to face "#OscarsSoWhite" and snubs at the Grammys, to see positive role models in the media makes a difference.