7 Happy News Stories We All Need In Our Lives | The Odyssey Online

7 Happy News Stories We All Need In Our Lives

The world is chaos, here's a pick-me-up.

53

Whatever you believe in, I'm sure we can all agree that there's a lot of crazy stuff happening present day. Everything seems to be controversial causing a wedge to be built between the people. Presidential debates, police brutality, and drama with North Korea are only some of the issues that we're dealing with today.

It breaks my heart to see that we as a people are no longer turning to police for protection

Our children forced victim to neglection

Just look at our last election

What has happened to us?

Is this why Rosa Parks wouldn't give up her seat on the bus?

So we could sit here and holler and fuss

At each other

with no concern for one another

They say slavery has ended

But that's not true

Murder and violence

Is that appealing to you?

You think one person can't change the world but

What if one too many take a stand?

Causing the world to change, just maybe we can

Now, for the happy part. Here are some super delightful news stories guaranteed to make you crack a smile!

1. Homeless Man Hired to Help Build Stairs for Local City Park

Tom Riley Park, Ont. Adi Astl heard through the grapevine that his city estimated $65k-$150k to build stairs over a steep hill in the park. Having neighbors that have slipped down this hill, Astl took it upon himself to help. He hired a homeless man and the two of them built a stairway for $550. He prevented the city from spending a huge amount of money to be spent on some stairs and provided a safe foundation for people to walk on. Thanks, Adi! Read the full story here.

2. This Elderly Man Feeds His Wife Ice Cream in the Midst of the Heat

If this isn't the cutest darn thing I've ever seen. You can see his wife peeping out of the passenger seat. 98-degree weather and an 80 somethin'-year-old couple eating ice cream together. Real relationship goals.

3. 247,000 Jobs Added in June

According to Huffington Post, 247,000 jobs were created in June alone in the USA. 'Merica. Seriously though, way to go economy. We did pretty well in the job aspect of the country.

4. Transportation For Women

For women, by women, this transportation service in India allows for the female species to safely get to and from where they need to be. With harassment level at a high, this service provides a comfortable environment for us girls who may be a little uncomfortable to ride with just anybody.

5. Manatee No Longer Endangered

Manatees are my fav sea creature. They're so friendly and are close to shore in some parts of the intercoastal. I went kayaking in West Palm Beach over the summer and went right over two of them! The West Indian Manatee has increased in numbers from a few hundred to 6,000. They're not endangered anymore but put in the "threatened" stage, which is better, but not the best. Let's go Manatees!!

6. Absolute Poverty Rates Fall Beneath 10%

Absolute poverty (deprivation of the basic necessities of life) rates have fallen to an all-time low of 9.6% in 2015. 27 years ago, the extreme poverty rate in the world was 37.1%. That's more than half a decrease! I just can hardly believe it! We still have a long way to go, but with a steady decrease, I'd say we're doing pretty okay as a whole.

and to conclude...

7. Leonardo DiCaprio Finally Wins an Oscar

It's about time DiCaprio wins an Oscar for all his hard work. Not only did he finally win the Best Actor Oscar, he also made headlines with Titanic co-star Kate Winslet walking the red carpet. We love you, Jack!