Close-Knit Families: Extended Edition | The Odyssey Online

Close-Knit Families: Extended Edition

Bonds as strong as Snow White's Seven Dwarfs

55
Close-Knit Families: Extended Edition
Playbuzz

Just like Snow White's seven dwarfs have their own personalities, each cousin in my extended family does too. There are seven of us on the dream team, but beyond that these two don't share anymore physical aspects: we are not short, and we don't live in the woods.

We may not represent them very accurately in structure, but when we are together, whistling while we work is not a rare occurrence. Okay working might be stretching it, but the time does fly by faster than we would like it to.

Not everyone has a close relationship with their extended family. This makes me extremely grateful for the blessing that I have by being able to have a relationship with my cousins. We might not see each other very many times a year, but when we do you better watch-out!

Even if you are not that close with your cousins, I still hope you will be able to find at least one of these seven traits relatable.

1. Understanding genetic problems

Relating to my cousins genetically, is not hard feat. We all have the same two main characteristics that we get from being dutch: being tall and white. Being tall is fine when compared to the latter; especially in the summer time. They understand my white skin struggle like no one else.

It is a good thing that we make fun of each other about the glow of our skin. Embracing this fact brings us closer, and connects us in a none verbal way. A lot of other people comment on our whiteness in the summer time, and being able to share this commonality, allows us to bask in a kind of sun that wont blind all that surround.

2. Awkward moments

These babies can be found at any family function. Like the seven dwarfs, we are our own kind of family. In fact, we are so accustomed to these occurrences it is just second nature to laugh in their face. Not becasue they don't happen, but becasue they happen most of the time. We are so comfortable around each other that we just end up laughing and turning it into a fun memory. One that will definitely be shared in a year or two!

3. Best Friends Forever

Some of my earliest memories include playing with my cousins. These memories go from playing house, riding in a golf-cart, boating and of course dragging the only boy cousin to the outlet mall.

They have always been some of my best friend, and always will be. I can count on them to have my back, and will always have a place to crash if I ever need one! No matter how much time has passed since we have seen each other, we still connect because of the deep rooted friendship that has formed over the years.

4. Memories that nobody else understands

We have all grow up together, and are all pretty close in age. Being together through the the years, we have collected a plethora of diverse memories. These include the best of times, and the times that were not so fun. And yes included are awkward years of puberty, and braces, but also the years of celebration!

5. Family vibes

Some might include this in the awkward moments category, but for this cousin-dream-team, it belongs all on its own. Many people say “good vibes only”, but for my family our vibes might not always be perceived that way. And the best thing is, we don't care. We are not afraid to be who we are together. If that mean bringing out a really crazy side of ourselves, bring on the crazy!

I am not sure what outsiders think of us, but I can only imagine the bizarre vibes that we give off when we are together. Still, no matter how many weird looks that we get, the seen and the unseen, we just bask in the time we have together. Honestly, we could care less of what you think.

6. Talk about nothing

Sometimes when we get together, we are in places for long periods of time with no source of entertainment except for each other. We can talk about nothing for hours to cure the boardom. Much of this includes giving each other a hard time. No ugly duckling here, becasue everyone gets their turn, and is never left out. We make sure of that!

7. Reaction when you know you will see them soon

I am always so excited the week prior to when I get to see my cousins. Sometimes this excitement is so grand, that I can not contain it. Often, I cant wait a few more days to talk to them in person, so I choose the next best option. I will message them in various ways to express how excited I am. It is always reciprocated on the other end in the same way. This can even mean commenting on old Facebook memories of past reunions.

Just because you didn't grow up having your cousins as close friends, it is never too late to start. I encourage you to look them up on Facebook and start talking, or maybe go out to coffee.

Family has the potential to be some of the best friends that you can find. Plus, the commonalities that you share are already there, even if other commonalities aren't there.

Other than how close and comfortable we are around each-other, our cousin-dream-team of seven otherwise doesn't have much in common with the seven dwarfs. We don't have a Snow White, and there is not evil queen in our fairy land. What we do have is family love that can be seen reflected through the laughter heard when we are together. If you ask us, this is the best kind of whistling that any group of seven could ever wish for!