7 Upstate New York Bands You Should Be Listening To

Here's a list of 7 acts originating from Upstate New York that you should get familiar with as soon as possible.

1299
Jessica Tyler

When thinking about well-established music communities throughout the Northeast, areas such as Boston, Philly, New York City and Long Island come to mind and often sit atop many of the "Best Music Scene" lists. Being from New York, it's no secret that downstate is filled with heavy-hitting, successful scenes that have cultivated some legendary names in the past decade, such as Taking Back Sunday, Bayside, Backtrack, Incendiary, The Movie Life, and of course, Brand New. But what if you don't live downstate? Does that mean you're out luck for getting the chance to watch a hometown band grow into an internationally touring act? Absolutely not. Here's a list of 7 bands originating from Upstate New York that you should get familiar with as soon as possible.

1. Head North - Buffalo, NY

FFO: Turnover, Brand New, Microwave

Head North is a 4-piece emo/cosmic rock band from Buffalo, New York. Head North released an EP entitled "Bloodlines" with Bad Timing Records in 2015 and pushed the band to its most successful era yet, landing them opening spots on tours supporting Have Mercy and Weatherbox in spring 2015, and then with Knuckle Puck, Seaway and Sorority Noise in the fall of that same year. Since then, Head North teamed up with Microwave and SideOneDummy Records to release a 6-song split between the two, featuring "The Bells" which can be checked out below.

Recently, the band has taken some time off from touring to work on their next release. We don't know much about the newest collection of music besides the single that the band has put out titled "God (Bring it back)". "God", yet again, shows signs of progression for the Buffalo natives and does nothing but make me anxious to hear more. I suspect we'll hear more news from the band very soon.

2. Havenfield - Purchase, NY

FFO: Title Fight, Balance & Composure, Take One Car

From Purchase, New York, Havenfield is the perfect blend of ambient tones and powerful distortion. The unsigned band premiered their 6-song EP "Color" on July 22, 2016, providing that familiar sound that so many have come to love, containing the right amount of DIY organic-ness that makes everything feel a bit more personal. Watch the video for the bands single "Tangle" here:

3. Young Culture - Albany, NY

FFO: State Champs

The kids from Albany are doing something a little different. In a scene that is dominated by metal and hardcore, Young Culture is that very refreshing twist you needed with a pop-rock sound that'll get you moving. The band released their Full Length "You" on June 24th and have shows this fall, where they'll be opening for Speak Low If You Speak Love and Knuckle Puck, Real Friends and Moose Blood. Here's the lyric video for their song "Ready For You":

4. The Traditional - Buffalo, NY

FFO: Taking Back Sunday, The Wonder Years

The Traditional are a 4-piece from Buffalo that have that early 2000's nostalgic pop-punk sound that make you feel like you're in middle school again, but in a good way! The band released a 10-song full length through Anchor Eighty Four Records in early 2015, and haven been somewhat quiet since. We can only hope the band will be releasing new tunes soon.

5. Until We Are Ghosts - Rochester, NY

FFO: Counterparts, Ghost Key

I couldn't leave these guys out of this list. Until We Are Ghosts are a melodic hardcore band from Buffalo, NY that has earned everything they've been given. I don't recall a band from New York touring as much as they do. Their most recent release "Detach Me From You" was released on May 27, 2016 and is a fantastic listen front-to-back, reminding me of Counterparts but with heavier vocals. Until We Are Ghosts are signed to InVouge Records and will be coming to your city soon. Here is the title track off of their latest full length.

6. Such Gold - Rochester, NY

FFO: The Swellers, Polar Bear Club, Crucial Dudes

Such Gold might be a name you've heard before. Early in the Rochester natives' career, the band was paired and toured with heavy hitting pop-punk bands, but transformed into a much more progressive punk band with their release of "The New Side Walk" in November 2014. I can't expect the band to hide their newest material much longer, so be on the look out, but for now; "Faced", off of "The New Sidewalk".

7. Casey Bolles - Buffalo, NY

FFO: Mat Kerekes, Chase Huglin, Speak Low If You Speak Love, Julie Baker

Casey is a young acoustic artist signed to Pure Noise Records. "Freshman" was Bolles' most recent release through Pure Noise Records and is packed with an abundance of emotion, yet leaves you admiring the beauty of the record both lyrically and musically. Here's Casey Bolles with his song "Tattoo".