7 Adventures To Take Before It's Cold In Chicago | The Odyssey Online

7 Adventures To Take Before It's Cold In Chicago

Get out and appreciate these spaces in the city before winter gets here.

32
Illinois In Focus

We all know that this seventy and eighty degree weather won't last here in the Windy City. It's not long after the leaves fall that that lake effect snow and ice kick in. Sure, there's still plenty of activities all over the city to take advantage of during the winter, but these are adventures that I think are more fun when the weather's warm. Disclaimer: most are here in the South Loop and might not appeal if you're too cool to be touristy or see anything that could be known as part of "the sights." I think us college kids here in the city are pretty dang privileged to take advantage of them whenever we want. Anyway, because I obviously made this list with students in mind, these activities won't cost you much, if they cost anything at all. You're welcome. Now, for the love of god, just go outside while the plants are still alive.

1. Walk to Shedd Aquarium.

Yes, I did say walk. If you want to go inside, great, it's an awesome aquarium. They give a discount to students for general admission and even offer free days to Illinois residents, which applies to students living here for school.

But I said walk there because my favorite thing to do here in the Loop is walk to the aquarium and then around the lakefront. Grant Park is beautiful, especially when all the trees and plants are still bright with color. A bonus is that some of the best skyline views are there by the aquarium. Double bonus: if you're up for a longer walk, the skyline only gets better from near the Adler Planetarium.

Again, just appreciate the green.

2. Buckingham Fountain

Unfortunately, the water doesn't flow through the fountain year round. So if you're into dramatic music synchronized to changing lights and water that spurts one hundred and fifty feet in the air, you gotta catch it before mid-October. I think it's definitely worth it just to take in its size and feel some of the spray on your face, especially on a muggy night.

3. Play in Maggie Daley Park

This one is self explanatory; if you like slides and swings and way cooler things than we had (or at least I had) when we were younger, it doesn't really get better than Maggie Daley. Tip: just after dark, there aren't many kids, so the toys are basically all yours. And no one is judging how many times you race your friends down the slides.

4. Walk Along the River

Yes, during the day this is just a beautiful site to take in. You could sit by the water for a bit if you wanted to, take some Snapchats of boats trolling through. But, at night, it's even cooler. I recently walked down there with my roommate around nine o'clock in the evening, and we found plastic beach chairs to sit in. And then a dinner cruise blaring (good) music pulled up and docked near us. It was truly one of the coolest moments I've had downtown; the air was still warm, there weren't many people and there was music we could sing and dance to while we marveled at the scenery of crazy amazing architecture across the river and the lights coming from those buildings.

5. Visit Navy Pier

Yes, this sounds super touristy. See the disclaimer. There's just no getting around popular places having great views of the city and the water. And as everyone in Chicago, or probably any city or maybe even anywhere, knows, the views only get better from higher up. So the view from the top of the ferris wheel is pretty awesome.

6. Shop at a Farmer's Market

Get local produce! It's good for you and everything there is in season right now, which usually guarantees some quality compared to grocery store produce that has to be imported from somewhere when it can't be grown here. Pictured above is the Division Street Market, and I've gotta say that it's a great market to visit. There are enough vendors to cover a couple blocks ,and everyone there seemed super friendly.

7. Go to the beach!

You don't even have to swim or come in beach clothes at all. Just go visit Oak Street beach and take in another water view. I don't think there's any possible way you can see too much of Lake Michigan (though I may be biased as I'm from the mitten state).

Just get outside while it's nice! Snow is pretty, but the air will hurt your face. Be outside while the air doesn't hurt your face.

Of course there are more beautiful outdoorsy spaces in Chicago, like Lincoln Park Zoo and Garfield Conservatory among many others, but these are my favorite nature-related adventures that don't cost me much. And because most are within walking distance, they even provide exercise - always good for us college kids.