6 Ways You Are An Old Soul

6 Ways You Are An Old Soul

We love, learn, and live differently.

97
6 Ways You Are An Old Soul

"A spiritual person whom is wise beyond their years; people of strong emotional stability. Basically, someone whom has more understanding of the world around them." - Urban Dictionary

Urban Dictionary's definition has positive implications. However being told that I was an old soul, since elementary school, did not always sound like a compliment. Whether the comment came from my parents, teachers, aunts, or grandparents, it never seemed like something that every ten-year-old was striving to become. Years later, as a college student, not much has changed. I am still an old soul. We learn, love, and live differently. Whether you see it as a positive or a negative, being an old soul is just part of what makes us unique. Here's to all of my fellow old souls.

Five Ways That You Are An Old Soul:

1. Conversation Topics

You have been around extended family members your whole life, and have been apart of the "adult conversation" since before you could get into a PG-13 movie with your friends. You took pride in listening to the conversation and being told information that was for adults only. You took mental notes of the conversations and have always felt comfortable meeting new people and talking with elders.

2. Music Preferences

When "Runaround Sue", "Uptown Girl", "Come on Eileen", "Sweet Caroline", and other songs from two generations prior come on Pandora, you jam more than listening to Today's Hits. These songs lift your old soul and can always put you in a good mood.

3. You Would Rather Watch Classics

Any movie starring an actor or actress over the age of sixty is probably your first choice. You appreciate the classics and would rather watch something with a meaningful message. I'll take the original Parent Trap, Breakfast at Tiffany's, or The Sound of Music each and every time.

4. Your Grandmoms Are Your Idols

You grew up thinking that your grandmothers were the coolest people around. Didn't everyone want to wear glasses on the edge of their nose?! Your favorite childhood memories probably involve your grandmothers, and soaking in their wisdom and stories. People thought it was special that you wanted to always sit next to your grandmother or play dress-up in her clothes, but you didn't think anything of it. Your old soul was, and is, strongly connected to your grandmothers.

5. House > Bar Scene

There is a laundry list of things that you would rather do than wait in line to get into an over crowded bar. You will do it, but you have to really be in the mood for it. You think of how you will feel and all of the items that you want to cross off your To-Do list for the next day. Isn't there a good movie that comes on at 8? Ordering food, hanging with friends, and watching a movie seems like a dream come true.

6. You Do Not Follow Trends

You find a style that you like and you stick with it. Your priorities are not on the latest lipstick color, bootie, or hair color. You use outdated quotes that your mom frequently shares. You care more about a clean bathroom than checking your Twitter feed.