6 Things You Might Wonder If You’re A “Mini Mom” | The Odyssey Online

6 Things You Might Wonder If You’re A “Mini Mom”

For young women treading closely in their mother’s steps.

18
pexels

If you’re a mom, young or new mom, mom-to-be, mom-in-training, or young lady-in-training, I’m sure that these will ring a bell, strike a chord, and bring up a memory and a smile.

1. Is there enough milk for breakfast tomorrow?

Then, you start testing your memory and thinking back to all that you’ve made in the past few days… You made that banana pudding dessert for Sunday dinner, you used milk for the cake you baked for Wednesday night youth group because you didn’t have any sour cream, your family each had a glass of milk for dinner last night with your pancakes, which also called for milk… You come to a conclusion: yes, yes I do need milk.

2. Do we have clean socks for school tomorrow?

Your brother always seems to be lacking in black, blue, and brown socks because after a single day he puts them in the dirty and then he won’t have them for the next day (honestly, you should have helped remind your mom about the laundry, or even done it yourself, but come on, you’re already cooking the meals and it just slipped your mind).

3. By The Way… Does Anyone Know What’s For Dinner?

“I wouldn’t mind cooking again, but then again not having to cook sure would be nice, but then again a break from all this studying would be nice too, but then again that’s a super long break maybe we can just go out to eat or heat something frozen (because you’ve already eaten the leftovers two nights ago), but then again fast food and frozen isn’t smart so maybe cooking really would be best.” While you mull over this issue of making sure your family survives, your mom calls home and says that ya’ll have been asked over for dinner by your grandparents who live nearby. Problem solved.

4. Deciding Which Car(s) To Drive To Church.

And sometimes… It’s all three cars: you had to work backstage at a play Saturday night and you couldn’t drive home and spend the night so you are driving to church from college on your own so you have your car but you also have to leave early because this Sunday is your turn on the worship team and they practice before service. Your mom also plays with you this Sunday so she has to drive her car and then your dad and brother will come later in your dad’s truck in time for the service to start. Then you have to decide if we want to go home and find something there to eat for Sunday lunch, or if you want to go out, but you realize that you forgot to thaw the salmon before leaving that morning and nothing else is prepared so going out it is, which leaves you to decide which car to take because you can’t take the truck because it’s too cumbersome to drive in those tiny parking lots, so then the choice is between yours and your mom’s car. But then you bring up and remind your family that you are working backstage at the musical again that Sunday afternoon so you have to take your own car and they have to take theirs so that you can go straight down to campus and be there on time, which also limits which restaurant ya’ll can go to, and that decision in itself can take an entire car ride. This really happened by the way, and boy howdy what a day THAT was!

5. Which part of the house should I clean during my study break?

You could dust the wood floor, sweep the kitchen, and vacuum the living room, music room, and bedrooms, or dust the tables and lamps, crown molding and base boards, or make a dessert either for a friend or your family or to freeze it for the hot summer days when it’s too hot to bake with the oven, or you could balance a bank statement and respond to emails while your load of sheets is washing, or you could nap and dream of no homework and a clean house. Personally, I would choose the baking and cooking!

6. Cook dad, write a play and mother the child because no time ball and- AHHH!

Too many people need you at the same time! You mom is busy with taxes and business so your dad is cooking dinner tonight and he wants your help, but your mom needs you to sign medical papers and go over college information for next year so she needs you first and right now, but before all that happened you had promised to go right down to play ping pong with your brother after you finished sending this message to the group chat with your high school friends in it but then you were snatched up to sign your signature and cook the “cook-ature” and that IS a real word because in your frenzy, yooze starts makin’ up words in your chrome dome to kubumble out your cake hole.

Hope this brought smiles to you today!