7 Things To Love About UT Austin

7 Things To Love About UT Austin

There are so many to choose from.

662
7 Things To Love About UT Austin

1. The Hook 'em

You're not a true Longhorn until you throw up your "Hook 'em" sign. The "Hook 'em" is one of the most recognizable and popular hand signs in the world. It seems like there's always an unsaid contest to see who can represent Longhorn pride in the most creative way. \m/

2. Our (Inter)National Rankings

With over 5,000 international students from 122 countries, The University of Texas at Austin isn't something to joke about. We rank in the top 25 group among universities with large international student populations and study abroad programs.

3. Our Campus

Grab a book and a picnic blanket and enjoy your afternoon on the beautiful lawn that stretches in front of our main tower. Nap on the Union’s third floor or immerse yourself in the Hogwarts-like Life Sciences Library. Want even cooler places to go to? Look up the #HiddenUT hashtag for more hidden gems that you never knew existed.

4. The Drag

Cars aren’t necessarily the best form of transportation around campus. You’re better off avoiding traffic with biking or walking. That’s why this stretch of shops and stores is so important. Officially named Guadalupe St., between roughly West 29th St. and MLK Blvd., The Drag offers everything from bookstores to boba cafes, all within walking distance of campus. If you ever need some retail therapy and a sandwich to go with it, The Drag is the place to go.

5. Sports

While our football team hasn't been the best in the past few years, who's to say that we aren't successful in any other sports? We love boasting about our swimming and diving, volleyball, soccer, and baseball teams as well. Did I mention we are world champions in Quidditch?

6. The Tower

The Tower stands as the most distinguished and loved landmark on campus. A deep burnt orange color usually signifies an important date in UT Austin history, or celebrates the recent successes of its alumni and faculty. Listen carefully if you're walking around campus during the day as well. You may hear the Tower play tunes that range from Lady Gaga's "Poker Face" to the "Friends" theme song, "I'll Be There For You."

7. Austin

Austin is not only the Live Music Capital of the World, it ranks second on the Forbes’ Best Cities For Future Job Growth list and second on its Best Cities for Women in the Workforce list as well. We also can’t help the fact that Austin is a huge contributor to why Texas is ranked second in the nation for having the best food and drinks. Regardless of what you come to UT for, there's something for everyone in this beautiful city.