6 Must Haves for Mardi Gras

6 Must Haves for Mardi Gras

2362
6 Must Haves for Mardi Gras
LSU Alpha Phi

Mardi Gras shirt

This is the number one and most important thing about going to Mardi Gras. If you want to look like a basic white girl, or you don’t want to look like a tourist, do yourself a favor and buy yourself a purple, green, and gold collared striped polo shirt. They are comfy, cute, and definitely festive. If you consistently attend Mardi Gras and you live for it (basically every person in Louisiana), I suggest splurging on a white Perlis polo. They are more expensive, but they are a little cuter and will last a lot longer. If you are going once or twice, or you just do not want to pay that much money for a shirt, any striped collared shirt will do. They are just as festive and ten times cheaper.

Shoes

Another basic and obvious necessity for a perfect Mardi Gras. I am not talking about cute high-heeled wedges or booties; I am talking about solid walking shoes. If you want to go the basic white girl route, I suggest brown or black combat boots. They are cute and good for long walks on Canal St. If you choose to not be a basic white girl, then a solid pair of tennis shoes or riding boots is the way to go. Nothing is worse then your feet hurting and you still have several blocks to go in order to reach your friends. Again, I stress that there is no need for wedges, high-heeled booties, or stilts. Those are for the street performers. 

Drink

“A drink -- what does that even mean?” I promise you that you will be dying of thirst by mid morning, so make sure you always have something to drink on you. If you want to actually stay hydrated, then you cannot go wrong with water. Now, I am not one to judge, but say you are going with the more traditional Mardi Gras route and choose to ignore hydration and go for alcohol; you cannot go wrong with a Fat Tuesday daiquiri. They are perfect for any weather, any day, and the best drink to enjoy while walking the route or screaming for beads.

Cellphone

This seems quite obvious and it is, but I just need to reinforce this. Nothing is worse then being on W. Napoleon and not knowing where anyone is. Make sure you have your phone, and it is fully charged. Besides, how are you suppose to take artsy Mardi Gras pictures or Snapchat every second of your life without it?

Mardi Gras beads

This is, potentially, the most important and most underrated thing about going to Mardi Gras. 'Tis the season to get a bunch of crappy beads; please enjoy it! Nothing is more exhilarating then having a creepy masked man look directly at you and throw you some beads. Be proud of your beads and show them off! A quick warning to all. Flashing your chest may be the best way to get the most beads. As a frequent Mardi Gras goer I can say, we do not enjoy this. Nothing is wrong with the classic, “Hey Mister, throw me something.” Please, I beg you all, unless you are a gorgeous male model with 6-pack abs, do not flash anyone.

Common sense

No one likes to have common sense during Mardi Gras, but it is very important. I cannot count how many times I’ve heard, “Hey, my friend went to Mardi Gras once and he almost got shot.” I promise you all, they were just not in the right part of town. Like all cities, New Orleans does have some sketchy areas and those are the ones you avoid. Do not go where you do not feel comfortable, do not fight someone for beads (it’s not worth it), and do not go anywhere alone.

The key to success in having a great Mardi Gras is great music, great people, and great food and, of course, these six things.

As the saying goes in New Orleans, “Laissez les bon temps rouler!”