6 Life Lessons From Lilo & Stitch | The Odyssey Online

6 Life Lessons From Lilo & Stitch

Why Lilo & Stitch should be considered one of the best Disney films of all-time.

950
6 Life Lessons From Lilo & Stitch
Prezi

Lilo & Stitch came out in theaters in 2002, when I was in second grade. I remember seeing the movie when it first came out and not understanding the storyline or most of the important parts, other than that Stitch was destructive and cute as can be. I grew up watching the television series when I was in elementary school and fell in love with the idea of a crazy group of people (and aliens) coming together as one family.

I feel like whenever I come up with a list of some of the greatest Disney films of all-time, I usually pass by Lilo & Stitch and think of Lion King, Tarzan, Aladdin, Finding Nemo and Mulan. But Lilo & Stitch has SO much to offer when it comes to lessons learned and character development that it shouldn't be overlooked as one of the best Disney films. Here are 6 reasons why Lilo & Stitch should be recognized as an amazing Disney film and watched by every family.

1. People can change, all they need is someone to believe in them.

Stitch came into Lilo's life as a genetic mutation that was programmed to destroy everything in his path, but within a few days, he had grown to love Lilo and channel his inner goodness and innocence.

2. Even though it is a cartoon animation, the characters' sizes are a reflection of the normal population. All of the main girls are not just skinny little toothpicks!

This film shows that you can have big strong legs and still be considered beautiful.

3. When times get tough, the strongest learn how to step up and be there for the people that need them.

Nani and Lilo lost their parents due to a car accident. Even though Nani was only 19 years old when she was taking care of Lilo, she stepped up as a sister and as a motherly figure because she needed to be there for her little sister.

4. Sometimes, rules need to be bent in order to keep a family together and protect the greater good.

*Insert movie spoiler* In the end, Stitch is "exiled" from his home planet to live with his new family in Hawaii on Earth. Even though the Grand Councilwoman was supposed to bring him back to be charged by the Galactic Council, she made an executive decision that he needed to remain with his new family.

5. Acceptance is a key part in becoming a family.

When Nani first met Stitch, she was unsure if he would have a positive effect on Lilo and their whole family. But they grew to love each other and accept Jumba and Pleakley as their own, even though they were aliens and different from everyone else.

6. No family is perfect. Every family fights and is broken in some way, but it still means they are one.

"Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten."