6 Local Gems To Visit Before Leaving Valdosta | The Odyssey Online

6 Local Gems To Visit Before Leaving Valdosta

Follow your wanderlust locally before you graduate and leave town for good.

31

Downtown Valdosta

Sure, Valdosta may not have a booming and bustling downtown like more "touristy" areas like Savannah, but there is still that little tinge of local history and classiness about it. I'll admit, some parts of downtown are closed and run down, but there are still quite few treasures and photo session worthy areas that redeem it all. Some of the alleyways have murals painted or carved into the stone, and there are always lights strewn in the trees and around the entrances of the nicer areas. Some of the best spots to go to are restaurants & cafes (like Steel Magnolia, Birdies Cafe, the Bistro, & Grassroots), fancy little boutiques, quirky antique stores, and there is even a classic-style theater, Theatre Guild, which features various plays and classics.

Local Coffee Spots

No, I'm not referring to one of our two local Starbucks. Three of my favorite "less basic" coffee shops specific to the Valdosta area are Red Owl, The Beanery, and Grassroots. Red Owl is a new "drive-thru" coffee company with two locations in Valdosta and is great for a quick caffeine stop on the way to work. Right down the road from VSU is The Beanery, a small local shop, which specializes in delicious, always freshly pressed coffee with beans from all over the world; you can even choose your bean blends! The Beanery's coffee blends are some of the smoothest and boldest I have ever had, and that's coming from someone who is an avid coffee drinker. However, if you're looking for that classic coffee shop atmosphere, Grassroots (now located inside Birdies Cafe) is the spot. With delicious coffee inside a beautiful downtown building with just the right amount of lighting and smells, it's a true cafe experience worthy of experiencing before graduating and leaving town for good.

The Crescent House

The Crescent House is true landmark. The Crescent is a beautifully crafted, white neo-classical house complete with white pillars. The house has been in Valdosta since the late 1800's, and it is located between Valdosta State and Downtown Valdosta. The building is avidly cared for by the ladies of Valdosta's Garden Club who, as I was told, saved the building from being torn down and being replaced by a gas station years ago. All that is asked upon entry is a small donation amount of your choice, and you are free to tour the premises on your own or with a guide. The historic Crescent has gorgeous gardens worthy of Alice's Wonderland, a quaint chapel and school house, and an interior full of beautiful rooms and antique furnishings; it's no wonder it's one of the top wedding venues in the Valdosta area.

Turner Center for the Arts

The Turner Center for the Arts is an art museum located right down the road from Valdosta State University heading towards downtown. My first and only visit so far to the museum was during my Art Appreciation class I took in the process of earning my BA, but I plan to go back again in the future. The museum has several rooms or galleries, some of them housing permanent pieces while other galleries shift art exhibits several times a year, all featuring art work from fairly local artists. If you discover that the museum is featuring an artist's work that falls along your line of interest, don't hesitate to go! Like I said, most of the featured exhibits stay for a limited time, so you should go while you have the chance. Also, people tend to depend on bar life and drinking for entertainment way too much in college towns like Valdosta, so do something tasteful for a change!

Grand Bay

Grand Bay is a little ways out past Moody AFB, but the 20 minute drive from Valdosta State is totally worth it, especially if you never get to see any greenery other than the Front Lawn. Grand Bay is a gorgeous wildlife reserve, and it's the perfect place for a walk with friends or even on your own. During certain seasons or times of the day, you are bound to see tons of plants, wildlife, and hundreds of lily pads at your feet, as the only thing separating you from the swampy marsh is the long pier you walk and the fence around it. Walking down the pier, the water is basically at your feet, and the trees are all covered in moss; the best season to see all of the greenery at its greenist is of course spring, but to be honest, I have even enjoyed the view of the marshes in the colder months. If you're lucky, you might even see a baby gator or two (or three)!

Freedom Park

Freedom Park is Valdosta's State/Veteran's Park, and it's the perfect place for basically every recreational activity there is. Freedom Park features an impressive sports arena with a baseball complex, disc golf area, basketball court, track, and an open field used for soccer and other sports. The park also has picnic areas, a lot of greenery to make for a good afternoon walk, and a fairly nice dog park. This place is perfect for one of those "I'm lazy but still need to get some sunshine" days, and it is always super clean and well-kept. Definitely check this place out when you get tired of laying out on VSU's Front Lawn or when you don't feel like driving all the way to Grand Bay.