6 Facts All Choir Kids Understand

6 Facts All Choir Kids Understand

Never under ANY circumstances, hum your starting pitch after it is given to you.

607
6 Facts All Choir Kids Understand

If you grew up involved in the arts, you understand that you and your fellow artists can be a bit...offbeat. Personally, I grew up involved in musical theatre, then transitioned into choir in high school. I loved every minute of my time in high school choir and continue to pursue music in college, but the choral world is definitely a quirky one. If you grew up involved in choir, here are six truths that will be all too familiar to you.

1. Pens are never allowed to enter the classroom...EVER.

Using pen in rehearsal is the equivalent to committing murder, sheet music murder that is. If all you brought were pens that day, be prepared to be publicly shamed as you ask each classmate for a spare pencil. And if you have to ask your director for a pencil, you might as well play dead because you will be, as soon as you utter the words, "Do you have a pencil?"

2. You are certain there is a contest out there to design the ugliest choral dresses possible.

I am fairly confident that directors flip through the catalogues and wonder, "Which choral dress will look the most disgusting/unbearable on the my choir? Yes, that vomit green, tulle dress with the rhinestones all over it is definitely the one!" I seriously believe this is how it works because, what other explanation is there for how horrendous most of these dresses are? I would pay serious money to whomever can show me an attractive choral dress (Note: payment will be in the form of muffins or cookies as currency).

3. Men are the actual stars of any chorus.

Seriously, men in choir live the life of luxury! I will never understand why guys think it isn't cool to be in choir. Singing is sexy. Just sit through a serenade from a tenor/baritone/bass (or all three) and try to tell me that it wasn't one of the most hypnotizing, most gorgeous experiences of your entire life. Also, they get to wear a tux for every performance! No nasty, repulsive, fashion travesty for them, but instead a swanky, suave tux that would make any man feel smoother than James Bond. Let the record officially show that men in choir = cool.

4. Someone is ALWAYS singing.

Whether you are in rehearsal, on the bus, at a festival, or just early to practice, someone will be singing or humming something. Choir kids lack the ability to separate music from everyday life. For us, music is everywhere and whether or not that high C is within our range, you can bet we'll belt it out loud and proud.

5. Christmas comes in August for you.

My friends always wonder why I am singing Christmas carols far too early. Well folks, here is your answer: being in choir means Christmas caroling. It happens every year whether you like it or not. You will be singing "God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman" as soon as the bell rings on the first day of classes. So smack that cheery smile on your face and get in the holiday spirit because you will be working on that music from August until performances come around in December.

6. You worship Eric Whitacre and his luscious, golden locks.

In high school, we sang many Eric Whitacre pieces and even travelled to NYC to sing 17 of his pieces under his direction. Eric Whitacre made a huge splash in the choral world and continues to do so today. His pieces are gorgeous, but anyone who has sang one of them knows how difficult they really are. Those chord clusters tho.