5 Ways To Appreciate Yourself - The Odyssey Online

5 Ways To Appreciate Yourself

Just some little reasons to persuade you to love the completely idiosyncratic individual you exquisitely are.

65
5 Ways To Appreciate Yourself
http://quotepixel.com/picture/love/voltaire/self-love_is_the_instrument_of_our_preservation

It's tempting to accept oneself as is, but also extremely difficult for countless reasons. Some of us are naturally inclined to be confident and bold, while the majority of us have to fake it till we make it. In today's digital age this is no easy match, where images of perfect physiques and luxurious lifestyles saturate our skulls, it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain a positive disposition in regards to our self-image, where our standards for what should be are constantly challenged. Due to this, we are able to examine our own flaws and insecurities with microscopic precision, while condemning the very traits that make us unique. But, much to our own chagrin, our flaws stitch us together into wholesome pieces of life. A priceless bit of beauty. If you cannot yet love yourself, it is vital that you accept and appreciate yourself. The latter will eventually follow suit. Here are five ways to help foster some self-appreciation.

1. Make little dates for yourself. Gather yourself up and take a trip to the bookstore, buy a movie ticket and go see that film that piques your attention every time the trailer plays (even indulge in some cookie dough bites or popcorn). Or better yet, light some candles, pour what you deem to be an appropriate amount of wine, and relax in a bath. Whatever you choose, make it fun and special -exclusively for yourself.

2. Exercise. I know, cue groaning. Physical labor is rarely an appealing choice, especially when completed to solely look good. However, one can realize how wonderful their body is when they can appreciate what it can do. No matter at what pace you begin at, it is unbelievably cool to reach new milestones.If you think about it, it really is a wonder how we can walk, talk, and move without thought. When you take care of your body, your body will take care of you.

3. Find an outlet that lets you get some quiet space and encourages some creativity. Try some yoga and revel in the serene atmosphere it creates (I personally just search YouTube for workouts and that suffices). Sounds cliche, but grab a notebook and begin listing what you're grateful for within your own life or take it in another form and write about a hindrance that is keeping you from achieving inner peace, whether it be an unresolved conflict or a personal hang-up. If that doesn't interest, pick yourself up an adult coloring book. I bought mine at Shaw's but Michael's and other stores alike probably have some. I don't know why but there's something so therapeutic and satisfying about watching a white piece of paper come to life with colors you chose on it.

4. Read something! It's so nice to get off of Instagram or whatever social media site is your favorite and most time consuming. It helps remove your thoughts from the toxicity of social media and allows for a mental breather, allowing for all that information to seep out of the forefront of your mind and shuffle into the very back. To help with the theme of this article, I'd recommend Tiny Buddha's Guide to Loving Yourself by Lori Deschene which features firsthand stories by authors that have endured their share of affliction, and want to tell of their own personal revelations. It's an uplifting read that promotes self-love.

5. Adjust your perspective. Once you change the narrative on a characteristic you dislike, it's harder to revert back to disliking it. For example, I have thin lips. When I was younger, this made me insecure. I thought it ruined my profile and I was unreasonably upset by it. Then one day, I stumbled upon a picture of my grandfather (who has since passed) and realized my special resemblance of him. I've never really criticized my facial features all that much since. Seeing them as an extension of someone I love helped me accept them for what they are. Our flaws signify that we are three dimensional and real and here. In life. Making each day worth our while.

I hope this article inspires you to set aside some time to appreciate your own exceptional self and to celebrate what sets you apart.