5 Ways Denim Is The New Black | The Odyssey Online

5 Ways Denim Is The New Black

The return of a trend that never really ended.

83
5 Ways Denim Is The New Black

It's the start of a new school year, and with that, comes new trends. However, this recent trend isn't exactly new--you've probably had some of these items for years. Dust off your jean skirt from middle school, because denim is the current fashion craze. Here's a few items you need right now to be on trend:

1. Overalls

They aren't just for the 90's anymore. Recently, pictures of girls in ripped-up overalls have littered my Instagram feed, and I can't help but jump on the overall bandwagon. They're effortless yet edgy, and they can make any outfit 100% more interesting. I like to pair them with simple crop tops and platform sandals. Rachel Green from "Friends" isn't the only one who can rock overalls anymore.

2. Skirts

Yet another piece of clothing that has made it's way in and out of many decades. Denim skirts are so easy to dress up or dress down, it's no wonder they seem to always make a comeback. A simple piece like this goes with almost everything, and it is essential to have in your closet. They go great with boxy crop tops and leather booties.

3. Shorts

The classic, jean shorts. I've been wearing them for as long as I can remember, but recently they've gotten an upgrade. Lately, denim shorts have been covered in patches and embroidery, creating a retro or vintage look. No longer just a music festival staple, these shorts work best with plain tops and simple accessories.

4. Bags

I'm a sucker for a leather bag, but recently I've taken an interest in bags made of--you guessed it--denim. Stella McCartney came out with the Denim Falabella for Fall 16, using the recent denim craze to her advantage. Denim bags are perfect for spicing up a monochromatic outfit and transitioning from summer to fall.

5. Dresses

Last but not least, the denim dress. If you love denim, why not wear a whole dress made of it? Take a cue from Julianne Hough and match a denim t-shirt dress with booties and a leather bag (if only we could all carry a Céline like she can). Not only is this loose-fitting style comfortable, but it can go from day to night with the help of a heel.