5 Types Of Freshmen You See In The Fall | The Odyssey Online

5 Types Of Freshmen You See In The Fall

Brace yourselves, the freshmen are here.

9
5 Types Of Freshmen You See In The Fall
ZipCar

Being a freshman is both an exciting and terrifying experience. During my time here, I've noticed the freshmen and the different types that are amongst them. I don't recommend taking any of these personally, but they are fun representations of actual students I've seen.

1. The One Who Goes To 'All The Parties.'

This freshman will always show up to all the parties - even the ones they weren't invited to. They are most likely trying to handle their alcohol at said parties - note the word 'trying.' They ultimately just want to have a good time and while there's nothing wrong with that, there is something wrong with bragging about their good time to people they've just met.

2. The One Who Peaked In High School.

They are usually the ones still talking about how they were student body president, captain of the football team or valedictorian - even though it's October. This freshman thinks that by doing this, they will impress others, even though it does the complete opposite. It is recommended that this freshman realize that they are no longer in high school and that nobody cares.

3. The One You Never See.

This person is the floor-mate who you've always heard of, but never seen. You're not even sure if they actually live on your floor. You usually never come face to face with this person but if you do, it may be awkward.

4. The One Who's The BME/Pre-Med.

This one is specific to Case Western Reserve (and other schools like this). Freshmen like this usually think they can handle the hardest combination so they go for it. Eventually, they will change majors once they realize just how difficult the task is (but if they stick around, they'll be making big bucks).

5. The One Who's Already In A Relationship.

This/these Freshmen are the ones who are dating as soon as orientation week is over. There is nothing wrong or bad about this, but it does come off as a bit too eager. Most of these relationships will sizzle out, but a very rare few will continue on as the year goes on.

Bonus: The One Who's A Pathological Liar.

This one is based off of personal experience: This freshman lies very easily and is able to spin stories out of the sky, yet still sound believable. When I was a freshman, there was this guy I knew who lied compulsively. All year, he told my friends and me stories of his girlfriend, his lavish lifestyle and insane experiences. Sometimes, these stories would sound just a bit far-fetched. We would doubt them for a while, but then push the thoughts to the back of our minds because he was our friend.

At the end of the year, he ended up transferring to another university and that was when the truth came out. His 'girlfriend' that he bragged about all year and showed us photos of ended up being a fake profile that he created the prior year. As for all the stories of his unbelievable experiences and gradeur lifestyle, we'll never know because he has not gotten back to us since. Freshmen, beware of this one. Even though they may mean no harm, it is kind of creepy to have a friend who lies so easily (and creates fake profiles). Just be yourself! Trust me, people will like you the same (and as a bonus, they won't write any articles about your lies).

As a last word of advice: Freshmen, be yourself.

Be open to new experiences but don't do anything that would make you uncomfortable or that would involve you changing yourself. Remember, this is college: no one cares about what you did in high school. They only care about who you are and that's actually a pretty great thing.