5 Tips to Avoid Gym Fatigue

5 Tips to Avoid Gym Fatigue

How gym nuts manage to keep going every day

22
5 Tips to Avoid Gym Fatigue
The Odyssey

Many people think the gym is an evil place of pain and suffering. While certainly true during your first few weeks, it is actually pretty easy to avoid the "blood" part of "blood, sweat, and tears" if you know what you are doing. I see a lot of people make very simple mistakes when dealing with their workouts, so I have decided to write up a simple guide on how to not hate the gym.

1. Consistency

If you do not make it into the gym regularly your body will hate you every time you go. Being so sore you cannot move should not be something that happens after the first week or so. If you only make it in once in a while you will never build the endurance and strength to continue. Regardless of your workout if you do it on a consistent schedule the soreness will go away, and it becomes much easier. So keep getting in there, at the same time every week!

2. Protein

Whether you are doing purely cardio, purely strength training, or a mixture, your body needs protein. When you use your muscles for extended periods of time they get worn down. Protein is what your body uses to heal that wear and tear. If you eat a proper amount of protein each week you should feel much better because your body can properly recover. Put down the pasta and grab yourself a chicken breast so that you can make it in there next week! (If you do not eat meat beans and lentils are both excellent sources of protein.)

3. Diet

While on the subject, diet in general is important. Food is fuel, and if you put crap fuel in your body you are going to struggle doing anything meaningful. Protein heals your muscles, carbs give you energy, fat keeps your hormones (and brain!) running smoothly. You need all 3 to operate at maximum capacity. These 3 things are called Macro-nutrients because they are the 3 primary things you need to be eating. Everyone's macros will be different, but doing a bit of research into what your body needs will take you much farther than eating pizza and ice cream after every gym session.

4. Form

If you think you can just hop onto a machine or under a bar and go to town you are a bad person. Form, in all exercises, is important. If you are running, learn HOW to run. If your chest is collapsed, your head is down, and your feet are all over the place you are not going to get much mileage out of your body. If you open your chest, keep your eyes at horizon level, and pay attention to foot placement and stride you will feel much better. The same goes for lifting. I see so many terrible half-squats and jerked deadlifts it makes me cry. Learn your form, and practice your form. Proper form ensures you do the same exact motions every time, which, when done properly, reduces your chances of soreness and injuries.

5. Limits

know when its time to turn off the treadmill and put down the weight. Sure, you should be trying to push yourself in the gym, but your body has limits. You need to learn those limits, and push them safely. If you can only squat 135 pounds and you get under a bar with 225 on it you will hurt yourself. Even if you manage to get out of the lift without actual injuries your muscles can be damaged. So be careful, and learn what you are capable of.

I cannot guarantee you will feel 100% better by following these tips, but if you are serious about getting in shape it is important to learn what can be done to make the journey safer and easier for you, both mentally and physically. Next time you get motivated enough to get into the gym make sure you review these 5 items before you get in there, and you should be a bit better off. Have fun!