5 Things To Do With A Wood Router | The Odyssey Online

5 Things To Do With A Wood Router

A router is basically used to cut fancy edges, and patterns but is often used to make cabinetry and decorative moldings.

195
5 Things To Do With A Wood Router

Whenever you need to hollow out an area in a piece of wood, metal or plastic, one name always come in the mind i.e. router. A router is basically used to cut fancy edges, and patterns but is often used to make cabinetry and decorative moldings.

To start with a brief description, let me tell you that there are two types of routers available: a fixed base router and a plunge base router. Both the routers work in a different manner and have their individual advantages. But having both types of routers will surely provide you with a lot more variety in your projects.

But if you want to do some simple and easy-to-do home projects, a plunge base router is a better option. So here are 5 things you can do with a router. Have a look.

1. Create a Rounded Edge

You can easily make the round edge of a table, nightstand, or bench using a router that starts out with a square edge. Rounded edges are much better than straight edges. Another advantage of having rounded edge is, if you have any small children in the house, rounded edge is good for their safety.

Do you know how to create a rounded edge? If no, don’t worry we have this simple method for you. All you need to do is, attach your router bit to the collet of the router and lock it in place. Then you have to set the depth of the bit. And the last step is to run the router along the edge of the wood. As simple as that.

2. Bevel a Frame

Who doesn’t like to capture memories on the wall? With the help of a router, you can make a picture frame with a beveled edge out of pieces of wood. Start with an internet search for "how to make picture frames".

With the help of your router shape the outside and inside edges of the frame. Now simply put the pieces together according to the instructions you found on the internet.

3. Make a Sign

With a piece of wood and router you can even create beautiful signs, be it a house number or business sign. What you need to do is, draw your design onto your piece of wood. A round nose, v-groove or square end router bit can be used to hollow out the letters.

For complex designs, you can use other bits also. If you are making some business sign round edges can be made or you can use a more decorating edging bit.

4. Make a Cutting Board

Use a rectangular piece of wood and you can quickly make a cutting board. Start with the very first step and that is rounding the edges of the board. Now finish it by hollowing out a groove one or two inches from the edge of the board, all the way around.

Maple, walnut, cherry and teak are the best type of woods that are used for cutting boards and will last for longer time.

5. Make Raised Panel Doors

Raised panel doors can be best used for bookshelves and also use them in place of your old cabinet doors. Creating these doors are a bit more advanced, but also feasible with time and some prior router experience.

All you need is a handful of router bits, jigs and door templates. You can see some videos on the internet, simply search for "making raised panel doors with a router".