5 Great Day Trips Near Colgate | The Odyssey Online

5 Great Day Trips Near Colgate

170
5 Great Day Trips Near Colgate
womenonthefence.com

We all adore Colgate, with it’s one-of-a-kind beauty and the plethora of school sponsored and non-Colgate sponsored activities. However, let’s face it. We all, believe it or not, at one time or another, have lacked a significant amount of homework and stared blankly at our friends repeating the same question, “What do you want to do today?” It is easy to assume that there is not much to do in close proximity of Colgate, but the towns surrounding Hamilton such as Cazenovia, New Hartford, and Clinton offer rather enticing activities for that day of leisure.

1. Lebanon Reservoir

This natural beauty is approximately 10 minutes from Colgate’s campus and provides one of the most breathtaking views you will ever see. You can sit and enjoy the crisp fresh air and scenic view of the reservoir. If it’s warm enough (I know this is only for a brief period during the academic year) you can dive in and go for a swim. Whether or not you stay at the reservoir for a long period of time, it is definitely a must-see before you graduate.

Photo Credit: http://www.hamilton-realestate.com

2. New Hartford

Though it is not technically defined as a major city, New Hartford seems like a bustling metropolis after being in Hamilton. New Hartford, which is about 30 minutes from Hamilton, offers many commercial luxuries such as Target, Gap, H&M, and Macy’s in addition to several nail salons and spas for your beauty needs. If you’re looking for some food, New Hartford also has a Chipotle and the Colgate and Hamilton student renowned sushi restaurant, Mitsuba. These restaurants may not be 5-star dining per say, but the journey for such grub is most definitely worth it after eating at Frank Dining Hall for an extended period.

Photo Credit: villageofnewhartford.com

3. Clinton Cider Mill

Now THIS, in my opinion at least, may be the biggest hidden gem in the immediate Hamilton area. A big thank you to my Hamilton College Alum, Uncle David, for introducing me to this place. The Clinton Cider Mill is an antique cider mill that offers an abundance of natural (and absolutely delicious) apple and apple related products. It even has a vintage apple washer that runs through the entirety of the shop where customers can watch the apples be picked and cleaned. If apples are not your preferred food, the Cider Mill also offers an amalgam of homemade baked goods as well as other fresh fruits and confectioneries. If I have swayed you into checking out the Clinton Cider Mill, you better go soon! The shop, which is about 17 miles from campus, closes its doors for the season after Thanksgiving weekend.

38 Elm Street, Clinton, NY 13323

Photo Credit: Instagram @wakeup_hungry

4. Owera Vineyards

I apologize since this one really only applies to those of you who are lucky enough to be 21 years of age or older. Owera Vineyards is not only aesthetically unique, due to stunning views and recently renovated buildings, but it is also a great and entertaining day activity with family and friends. The Vineyard offers several different types of wine tasting, where one can taste up to five of their delicious wines that are made straight from the grapes from their vineyard. In addition to the wine tasting, Owera Vineyards also has a charming café where you can enjoy flatbread and appetizers.

5276 E Lake Rd, Cazenovia, NY 13035

Photo Credit: Facebook.com/oweravineyards

5. Destiny USA Mall

I saved the furthest location for last. If you do not already know about this monstrous commercial mall complex, Destiny USA is located in Syracuse and is, therefore, a little bit further of a trip (60-75 minute drive). If you need a full-day activity, particularly on those rainy or snowy weekends that often occur, Destiny USA is just the place to go. The Mall (which is the sixth largest shopping center in THE WHOLE COUNTRY) offers 260 boutiques and retail outlets as well as 26 restaurants including favorites such as, Starbucks, P.F. Chang’s and the Melting Pot. You can honestly spend hours getting lost in this six-story complex, making Destiny USA the absolute perfect bad-weather day activity in the relative Hamilton area.

9090 Destiny USA Dr, Syracuse, NY 13204

Photo Credit: syracuse.com