5 Things I Want My Little Sister To Know | The Odyssey Online

5 Things I Want My Little Sister To Know

The things that I could not say to her in person, so I put them into words.

6
Nicole Kue

To My Younger Sister:

You are in a pivotal time of your life: the beginning of college. Freedom, fun and independence have been at the forefront of your mind, and you are finally getting a taste of it. You don't even realize how exponentially you will grow, and I really am excited for you. Of course, coming from an older sister, I may sound naggy and parental. I may even come across as condescending or frustrated. However, I just want you to know a couple things as you embark on your personal journey in discovering yourself.

1. To be quite honest, you are kind of awesome.

I probably don't tell you enough, but you are. Growing up, I was always amazed at how you handled things with a calm demeanor and a maturity beyond your years. At first glance, you appear as a shy, awkward girl who does not have much to say. Many people mistakenly think this way about you, and they truly do miss out; you're one of the best people I know. You make me laugh when I am stressed out and are able to understand my problems in a way that many people fail to grasp. Don't ever think that you're not friendly enough, or cool enough, or relatable enough. You are you, and once people get that, they will love you for it.

2. The only limits you have are the ones you set for yourself.

Don’t do what you want. Do what you don’t want. Do what you’re trained not to want. Do the things that scare you the most. Go salsa dancing. Try Polynesian food. Take a spontaneous trip halfway to the middle of nowhere. Challenge yourself. Open yourself up, and you'll discover some things you'll love and some things you will look back at, laugh and vow never to do again. That is all part of the experience. Take note of what you want and what you don't. It'll make your path a lot clearer and fuller of memories that you can look back on and think, wow. I really did live.

3. You will make many, many, many mistakes.

Many, many, many mistakes. On the road to discovery and success, there will be, without a doubt, many times where you fail. You aren't always going to make the best decisions, and sometimes, it will have a monumental impact on your life. An exam may catch you off guard or you might have overslept, missing an assignment deadline. Boys will make you cry and friends will walk out of your life. Sometimes, you'll get over it in a couple days. Other times, you'll feel so heartbroken that the pain will be unbearable. But that's okay; embrace either or. The thing is, heartbreak and deep sadness are necessary in order to appreciate real happiness and joy. Don't let these failures get you down or discourage you from taking chances that can lead you to something better.

4. Don't be afraid to admit that you're in over your head.

You were never meant to do life alone. At moments where you can't get back up, or are in such a daze, don't ever think that there is no one you can turn to. Reach out, find a good support system and, at all costs, do not hold it all in, even if that is all you want to do. When push comes to shove, I'll drop what I'm doing and come to you. You're my little sister, and I care about you so much. When I was a freshman, I didn't have a go-to person for advice, and I struggled a lot, often times alone. It sucked. Just know that even if I don't have all the answers, I will be there just to listen and offer comfort or an ease of mind, with a tub of mint chocolate chip ice cream and Blaze Pizza to eat.

5. On your road to discovering who you are, remember who you already are.

Never sell yourself short, but also be aware of where you are going. In your path, may you always be walking forward, making progress to become a better version of yourself than who you were yesterday. Take all these new experiences as opportunities to discover and rediscover who you are and who you want to be. I hope that you allow yourself to try to learn and experience all that life has to offer, but never lose sight of yourself through it all. Don't forget about you--the forever-sixteen-year-old girl full of romanticism and a thirst for adventure--and don't forget about everyone who cares and is helping you along the way. We are all rooting for you.

Love you,

Your Older Sister