5 Small Art Businesses You Should Know

5 Small Art Businesses You Should Know

When you're an art vendor in the summer, you get to meet some talented folks!

229
5 Small Art Businesses You Should Know
Artsintheplaza

The summer crafting and art vending season is slowly approaching. I can smell the sweat dropping off each vendors forehead as they carry their tent over to their spot. I can see the vendors scrambling to find the show sponsor to sign in to the fair. I can hear the slight revving of the food truck engines as they sit idly in the food court area with their windows closed, but I see the truck move slightly as they scurry inside. It's a grueling job being an entrepreneur, but a rewarding one. I have been in the family art business since I was 8 years old, and each summer I work the fairs on the weekends. I may dread it beforehand, but once I am there, I am never not grateful to have lived this life. I have met a hodge-podge of interesting people, but most importantly, have been surrounded by budding and accomplished artists. Here are some that I have learned a great deal from, and that you should check out!

Sonoka County

Sonoka Fukuma Gozelski is a mixed-media artist, but the name of their "art venture" is "Sonoka County." I met them at the Northport's Art in the Park. Their background is in set design, so their art is deeply influenced by the theater. They love the liberating act of collage making. Their works are extremely painterly and textural collage art with a burst of vintage flare.They also make postcards! Click here for their website to check out more of their work!

Frank Cerrone

Frank Cerrone paints with toothpicks and I met him at Long Beach's Arts In The Plaza. He paints on different types of mediums, including wood, canvas, stone, and jewelry. I currently have one of his designs in my apartment! If you are interested in this work, feel free to email him at cerronewes@aol.com.

Indigo Apparel

This is Jackii! I met them at Long Beach's Arts In The Plazaas well. Her business is an all-women's clothing company with a new perspective on eco-friendly fashion. All of her products are vegan, so I was thrilled to buy one of her comfy T-shirts. She uses the highest quality of organic fabrics such as bamboo, cotton and hemp. Then, each piece is hand-dyed with low impact dyes to achieve a soft and silky feel. Her website features even more items to purchase and such!

A Poem In Pictures

Katherine Mobilia is the founder of "A Poem in Pictures" ! I met them at Long Beach's Arts in the Plaza as well. I am mostly at this fair throughout the summer, so I end up knowing most of the artists around me. Katherine is a junior in college, and has been creating art for as long as they can remember. Everything is hand painted and crafted. They take book pages, and highlights some of the words to create a poem. It is called "Blackout Poetry." They have their own Etsy, where they sell their works in various sizes but of the highest of quality.

Idontdordinary

Last but not least, my mom! Her name is Rosemary Romeo and she has been an artist since she was a wee young lass. Her first piece that was displayed to the public was when she was around 8 years old, and it was a picture of a cat. Since then, she has dedicated herself to the arts. The name of her business has shifted throughout the ages. It was first Infinite Concepts, but as her work evolved, so did she. The name of the business is now "Idontdordinary." She is a mixed-media artist, who primarily uses recycled,re-purposed, and sustainable materials. She paints t-shirts, transfers ink images to broken glass, presses flowers onto sea glass and MORE. She is a one-woman art show that I get to call mom. If you are interested in seeing more of her creations, go to her FB page here!

Make sure that you check out your local artists coalition, high schools, and parks to see if you have some Art Shows happening this summer. You always will get the best food, best merchandise, and meet the most fascinating people! So, get on out there and support your local artists and businesses!