5 Short Lessons I Learned During My First Year of College | The Odyssey Online

5 Short Lessons I Learned During My First Year of College

Your first year being away from home can be a little stressful, so here are a few tips to keep in mind when moving into college.

17
Tanya Wertz

Although college will last years and years for me, as I want to receive some form of higher education further than a Bachelor’s Degree, that first year was VERY important. I learned some crucial life lessons that will stick with me forever, and definitely with me throughout my next so many years of college.

1. It doesn't matter if you graduated high school with a 4.0 GPA, college courses are much harder.

I never imagined in a million years that I, the girl who was a complete and total book worm in high school, would be failing a class my first semester. Was it that I wasn’t understanding the material? Was I not putting enough effort towards that one class and too much on my others? I needed to get down to the bottom of this problem before it happened again (it happened again, BTW. Stats is the devil…), which leads me to my next lesson.

2. Time Management is seriously key.

Mom and Dad are no longer around reminding you to do your homework, your laundry, shower, or eat. You have to remember to do these everyday tasks all on your own. I know, scary, right? No matter how independent you think you may be when you are leaving your parents’ house for that first semester away, you will have a culture shock. My problem was that I kept procrastinating. In college you have SO much more time than you do in high school. Or so you think. Then it’s the night before a big paper is due and you barely have the introduction figured out, so you spend all night knocking out a paper that somehow gets you an A. Then you think, “Wow. I did that so last minute and that sucked, but at least I got an A. Never again.” Guess what… It happens again. By my second year, I thought I had the whole time management thing figured out, but I was pulling all-nighter after all-nighter, going to classes extremely tired and uninterested. Finally, by my fourth semester of college, I seemed to get it down!

3. You will meet the most interesting people, and they will become some of your best friends for life.

I went to college knowing absolutely no one. That’s a lie, scratch that. I went to the same high school as two people who were so many years older than me, and I never spoke to either of them, not once. It was scary. Really scary. I’m not the most sociable person on the planet; I tend to keep to myself a lot. When I found out that the girl I had been talking to all summer who was supposed to be my assigned roommate was no longer going to the same college, two days before moving in, I was a bit panicked, to say the least. Luckily for me, I met two girls on the first day who I am still very good friends with today. They were much different from me. They were very friendly and extremely gorgeous. They were roommates, so I always thought that they would forget to invite me to do things with them, or just flat out not want me to. I was always the third wheel, but every time I would say that to them, they’d yell at me and say that they loved having me around. It felt amazing to be accepted so easily. I received a new roommate within three weeks or so and she was one of the nicest girls I had ever met. I am unbelievably grateful that she came into my life because I learned so much from her. I got extremely lucky with the roommates that I have had in college, but I know I will be friends will all of them for a lifetime.

4. It's okay to want to go home on occasion, just don't make a habit out of it.

I have learned that being away from home has its ups and downs. I love the feeling of being independent, making my own decisions for myself. If I want pizza for dinner three nights in a row, guess what – I’m having pizza for dinner for the next three days. But there are times when you feel a little homesick. That doesn’t make you weak, that makes you human. My first semester, I went home an extra two times, not including the breaks that the college allowed us. Those two times, I was feeling extremely stressed at school with my classes, friends, and the never-ending boy problems (I don’t know how those were never-ending, as I still have never had a boyfriend, but that’s a different story). It was very nice to have a place to go to get away from everything and everyone, even if just for a short weekend. Although, I would watch girls in my hallway go home weekend after weekend, and after the first semester, I didn’t see them anymore. Did they transfer? Were they homesick? I think it was just that they didn’t allow themselves to stay on campus and really experience college. Not the drinking and the parties, but just the friends, the late movie nights, the walks to Sheetz at 1am on a Saturday night because you and your friends want popcorn chicken and moz stix. So, just keep in mind that home is where you feel comfortable, and you’re allowed to have two homes – your birthplace and school.

5. Never cheat yourself of the fun or the experience.

College is seriously all about the experience. You’re paying thousands of dollars, most of the time, to go to a school where you should be learning much more than just what the books teach you. You should be finding yourself, because at 17, 18, and 19 years old, no one knows who they truly are yet. You will experience things in college that will change your life, mostly for the better, sometimes not so much. But you will be grateful for it all in the long run. If you know you have a paper due Monday and it’s the week before, GET IT DONE so that you don’t stress about it all weekend and cheat yourself of going out and spending time with your friends. If you focus too much on your schoolwork, and yes that is possible, then you’ll let all the good times of college fly by. Be studious during the week, and celebrate your achievements on the weekends!

College can be extremely stressful and definitely tests your patience. All you have to do is keep in mind that these are supposed to be some of the greatest days of your life – and they will be. Take a step back, a deep breath, and then remember that you’re there for a reason, and you’re capable of whatever you set your mind to.