5 Reasons Why Having A Roommate Is Not For Me | The Odyssey Online

5 Reasons Why Having A Roommate Is Not For Me

From Having No Privacy To Not Being Able To Have People Over, Having A Roommate Is Tough

19

My freshman year was rough. My first roommate and I were close but then we got in a really big fight and have not spoken since October. There was a big fight and then she didn’t talk to me in person for two weeks--she acted like I didn’t exist. I also found out from someone else that she wanted me to move out, so in late October, I moved to the other residence hall. I moved after being at school for almost two months. I originally wanted to find a single, but none were open, so I chose to room with a girl on the all-girls floor. I love the roommate I had for the rest of the year, it's just that having a roommate is not for me. Here are 5 reasons why:

1. You never have privacy.

Sharing a room with someone makes it hard to ever have your own space. Your roommate is usually always there. Don’t get me wrong; I loved my second roommate. She was there for me to talk and it was nice hanging with someone by just sitting quietly in the same room. The issue I had with my privacy was that my side of the room was seen whenever the door was opened, so whenever I was changing I got worried about my roommate walking in.

2. You don’t get much peace and quiet.

Living on the all-girls floor did not help when it came to wanting peace and quiet. Having a roommate means you always have to deal with not having a perfectly quiet room. Even if your roommate is just on the phone, you get distracted while trying to do your homework. For me, I like to have quiet when doing work, so this year I started to just put in headphones because music also helps while I’m doing work.

3. You don’t get to have boys over, ever.

Having a roommate makes it hard to have alone time with guys. I never got to have a guy over in my room while being alone. That’s another problem I had with having a roommate--you never have alone time with anyone.

4. Hanging with friends happens everywhere but your room.

I never had my friends hang out in my room. We usually would hangout around campus or at parties. My roommate liked to sleep during the day sometimes so I hung out with my friends in their rooms so I wouldn’t bother her. My friends also preferred to hangout in their own rooms, so we would hang in their rooms or we would go out. I didn’t use my room unless I was sleeping or doing homework.

5. Staying out late becomes annoying to your roommate.

My roommate was not into parties, but I am. So whenever I went out, I’d have to tiptoe in if it was late because my roommate would be sleeping. Sneaking in late at night makes it hard to take a shower before bed, especially since I couldn’t make too much noise or turn on too many lights. Having a roommate was great, but having one is just not for me. I’d prefer to have my own space, so I can do what I want!