5 Reasons Why DD is Fine With Me | The Odyssey Online

5 Reasons Why DD is Fine With Me

"The reason that there are two senators for each state is so that one can be the designated driver."- Jay Leno

19
5 Reasons Why DD is Fine With Me

The other day as I dropped my friends off at their house from being at the bar all night long, I had a random drunk girl walk up to my car and ask me for a ride. Keep in mind, it was about 2 a.m. I had no problem with this. I was ready to open my door to her when she suddenly said, “nevermind!” and scurried off. My other passengers that were still in the car questioned my decision on why I was so willing to give her a ride considering I barely even knew her, except that she went to the same school as me. That’s when I came to this realization: I love being the designated driver. I’m not saying that I never have a good time or “wild out,” but for the most part, I’m usually perfectly okay with being the DD.

I could go on and on about why, but I shortened it to just five reasons.

1. No hangover
    • The last thing I say to people when they get out of my car is, “Drink a full bottle of water and take two aspirin!” I’ve pretty much become an expert on hangovers. By judging how they act in my car, I can tell if they'll be hung over or not the next day. The feeling of knowing that the next morning I will wake up feeling 100 percent is one the best feelings in the world.
  2. Entertainment
    • When someone is drunk at a bar, they usually become a different person. They may dance on tables, buy too many shots for too many people, or take their shirt off (we all know THAT guy). But when someone is drunk in the car after they leave that bar, that is when they are their raw, true drunk self. In my driving days, I’ve seen countless amounts of tears, hysterical laughter, and a whole lot of passing out. I’ve sat back and listened to plenty confessions of love, lies, and so much more juicy gossip. The best part is, they usually don’t remember it the next day!
  3. Free food
    • “I’m STARVING. Taco Bell, NOW!” said every drunk girl after a night out. Taco Bell is my number one stop after I pick people up from the bars. I swear they know my car and license plate by now. Once I drive up to the speaker, my car passengers will shout out their orders all at once. My windows are constantly on child lock to prevent them from being too obnoxious to the Taco Bell employees. After I quiet them down and calmly recite all of their orders, I usually hear a loud “and Joy, get whatever you want!” We all are aware that drunk people are generous, but the offer never fails to put a huge smile on my sober face.
  4. Favors in return
    • The morning after I drive drunk people around, I am often bombarded with tons of gratitude and “Thank You” texts. The best texts often come along with a, “Hey, I owe ya one!” I cash those in for rides to class when I’m feeling extra lazy. It’s not that I expect any favors in return, because I don’t at all, but it’s just nice to know that if I needed something, I know who to call.
  5. I know my friends are okay.
    • The first four reasons are all great, but nothing compares to this last one. Knowing that my friends are alive and sound asleep in a safe place is the real reason I always do this. Too many drunk driving and alcohol poisoning incidents happen each day, and I would be especially devastated if it happened to anyone I knew.

Moral of the story: If you don’t have or can’t find a DD, just be it yourself. It’s not bad at all. You may grow to love it like I did.