5 Reasons to Look Forward to Winter

5 Reasons to Look Forward to Winter

Look beyond the icy slush to the beauty winter has to offer.

48
5 Reasons to Look Forward to Winter
Wall-Papers

When it comes to winter, there are a lot of different opinions as to what's to like about it, or more commonly, what's not to like. However, even though in most areas of the world, it's bitterly cold and wet, there is still a lot to look forward to. In the coming months, curl up, sip on that hot cocoa, and get ready for the gifts winter can offer us while it refreshes the landscape for spring and summer.

1. The Holiday Season

No matter what you celebrate, or don't celebrate, there's no denying that this is a season of joy and hope for the next year to come. The beautiful little twinkle lights hanging on buildings and in trees light up the darker days and nights. They remind me that even in darkness, just a little bit of light can make the darkness seem irrelevant, or even nonexistent. Christmas music, as annoying as it can be sometimes, is also too cheerful to make this season seem like anything but an attempt at overwhelming positivity. It's something we'll doubtless need this year.

2. Snow days

In places where it snows, if it snows too much and you get a "snow day", aka a day of no work or school because it's deemed too dangerous to go outside or navigate your car or yourself to class or work, there's so much potential for that day. You can stay inside, curled up with a book and a hot drink, or with Netflix, or with other people, or all of that combined! It's a cozy, worry-free day in which you have been blessed with much-needed time to relax.

3. Winter activities

Sledding, ice skating, and skiing are some of my favorite things to do, even if it's at the expense of a more comfortable outside temperature. You can realistically only do these things in winter, so take advantage of them! Sledding can be done on an actual sled, or if you're feeling more adventurous, just on the seat of your pants. The exhilarating rush of sledding and skiing is a feeling I cherish and associate with winter. Ice skating, while it tends to be a little more skill based, can be fun at any level if you're willing to laugh at yourself and be okay with falling on your butt a couple times. It's also a great couple activity.

4. Winter baking

Winter is the PERFECT season for baking - and lots of it! The active oven warming up the whole room will no longer be a nuisance, but a welcome side effect. Warm cookies, brownies, and other baked goods taste better in the winter for a reason I can't explain. Not to mention, since there is a winter break for students, more time can be spent with friends and family, baking and eating together.

5. More comfortable clothing

Winter weather makes it more socially acceptable, at least as a student, to wear more comfortable clothes out in order to accommodate the plunging temperatures. Abandon tight skinny jeans for soft sweatpants and joggers. Kiss your blouses good bye and don your gloriously gentle hoodies. Don't be ashamed of putting on those Ugg boots - they're so fluffy on the inside that how they look on the outside doesn't matter.

So find the little things to enjoy this winter - there's so much to love!