5 Reasons Deadpool Is The Hero We Need (And Deserve) | The Odyssey Online

5 Reasons Deadpool Is The Hero We Need (And Deserve)

Introducing Marvel's favorite anti-hero.

948
FoxFilm

2016 is here, fellow nerds. On the movie docket this year we’ve got Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, Captain America: Civil War, X-Men: Apocalypse, Suicide Squad, Dr. Strange, and last but surely not least: the infamous Deadpool, starring Ryan Reynolds. After the insulting representation of the character in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, redemption is the very least fans of this irreverent anti-hero deserve. Based on the hilarious marketing painting the gory comic book movie as a sappy romance story and X-rated trailers released so far, I think that’s exactly what we’re getting. However, for those not quite so familiar with Deadpool, here are a few reasons why he’s just the freaking best.

He does not care.

Call him reckless, call him an idiot, call him completely insane; and you’re right on all counts. Deadpool has been mutated to the point where he has instant healing powers, so the dude’s immortal. He can take on anyone and will not die. Therefore, danger is not a thing to him. He can be in the middle of a deadly battle and cracking jokes. In fact, that’s what he’s known for. Deadpool’s a guy that will tell a fart joke while decapitating a bad guy. Unlike Batman, who’s absolutely hell-bent on restoring justice everywhere he goes, Deadpool basically fights for his friends, money, Mexican food and the sheer joy of killing. This complete apathy makes him the epitome of an anti-hero. He’s not out there to save the day or impress anyone; he’s just doing what Deadpool does and we can’t help but love him for it. He’s an uncomplicated man in a complicated world.

He has a passionate love affair with Mexican food.

Deadpool is one of us. At the mere mention of hitting up El Charro for margaritas and tacos, he’s already warming up the car. Whether it’s tacos, burritos, or chimichangas, this assassin is bonkers for fine Hispanic cuisine. There are many who say Spider-Man is the superhero to represent the younger generation with his high school troubles and acne, but I say “nay.” It’s Deadpool, with his constant jonesing for tacos and remarkably crude sense of humor that makes him a champion for young (or just plain immature) people the world over.

He’s flat-out hilarious.

As I said before, there is almost never a time Deadpool isn’t cracking a joke. He’s foul-mouthed and gutter-brained, making him an immensely unique “superhero.” Part of this humor stems from the character’s complete insanity, due to the fact that his brain is in a constant state of flux and regeneration. This insanity not only makes him both hilarious and annoying, but extremely self-aware. Deadpool is infamous for “breaking the fourth wall” on numerous occasions, meaning he knows he’s a comic book character and will take a break from the action to talk directly to the reader, which often frustrates the hell out of reluctant acquaintances like Wolverine and friends like Spider-Man.

He’s a bad-a$$.

Deadpool has a literally endless arsenal of weapons. He got these weapons from a “magical satchel of unlimited weaponry” he just so happened to find in his backyard, in true Deadpool fashion. He has machine guns, swords, knives, and can use how to use any weapon in precisely five minutes less than the average person. If using all the weapons known to man doesn’t grab you, he’s also capable of extreme feats of athletic and acrobatic prowess. Considering he’s immortal and invulnerable, Deadpool has no fear and is thus the man you can trust to get the craziest jobs done. I mean, who wouldn’t want a taco-breathed, katana-wielding, wise-cracking immortal on their side in a fight?

Underneath it all, he’s got a heart of gold.

Despite being the absolute most violent and crude comic book character to ever exist, Deadpool is not without his sensitive side. At the top of a list of completely absurd phobias like his fear of cows, Deadpool’s biggest fear is being completely alone in the universe. Although he irritates the ever-loving crap out of everyone in his life, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have feelings. He’s fiercely loyal and has a soft spot for standing up for the defenseless. In fact, there was one instance in the comics where he’s seen consoling a troubled Apocalypse as a child. For those who don’t know, Apocalypse is a major super-villain to the X-Men. This just goes to show that Deadpool cares and is the perfect champion for the troubled and misunderstood.

Check out Deadpool in theaters on February 12!!!!