5 Reasons Why Being An Aunt Or Uncle Is The Best Thing Ever | The Odyssey Online

5 Reasons Why Being An Aunt Or Uncle Is The Best Thing Ever

You get to be cool aunt/uncle and your sibling gets to be a lame parent.

283
Katelend Alexander

I am a younger sibling. While I am still in college trying to figure out what to do with my life, my older sister is married and has had her first child. Before becoming an aunt, I'll admit I was not much of "kids person." Not to say that I hated children or anything, but I never wanted to hold your baby. I was not the girl parents asked to babysit their kids.

So when my sister became pregnant with her first child, everyone-- including me-- was curious about how I'd handle the new kid. I'm horrible with children. I don't know how to talk to them or play with them and most children just stare at me like I must be defective because I'm not comprehending their obvious cuteness. But to my surprise, and I think a few other peoples' as well, my nephew and I hit it off. And from being his aunt, I've learned the 5 reasons there is nothing better than being aunt or uncle.

1. Being an aunt or uncle before you have your own kid is like training for when you do.

Like I said, I'm horrible with most children. However, with great determination and force of will, I have learned how to make my nephew laugh and play with a kid. Before my nephew, I didn't even know the proper way to hold or feed a baby or pretty much anything child related. I will never be able to repay my sister for allowing me to use her son as a training baby-- thank goodness I won't have to put my own children through the lame, unfunny jokes I used on my nephew before I learned how to make a baby laugh.

2. Being an aunt or uncle is all the good and none of the bad.

Babies and little kids are cute. When they're laughing or sleeping they're so cute and perfect you think you could never get enough of this tiny person. Unfortunately, they don't always stay that way. Babies cry or need their diapers changed and toddlers throw tantrums in public places. Luckily though, being an aunt/uncle means you're not in charge in discipline, you're there to have fun, so when you're niece or nephew starts throwing a fit, feel free to call mom and dad.

3. You can spoil your nephew/niece as much as you want.

You know who has to worry about their kid becoming spoiled? Parents. As an aunt, It's basically my job to get my nephew super cool presents that his parents won't. Some people might think of this as buying a child's affection, but to that I say, that sounds like something for parents to worry about.

4. You get to be the cool adult.

Parents are old, their ideas are lame and they just don't "get it." But aunts and uncles are cool and insightful. The advice you get from your parents is just so "parental," but advice given from your cool and super worldly aunt or uncle makes sense and is just right. Basically, your sibling gets to be the lame parent while you get to be superstar aunt/uncle.

5. You get to have the most awesome mini person in your life.

Before my nephew, I did not know it was possible to be this obsessed with a person. Everything he does seems amazing -- from taking his first step to just weird random noises he makes -- I love it all. Watching him learn things for the first time makes me look at thing in a new way, and now, I can't imagine life when he wasn't around.