5 Reasons Why You Should Consider Accounting As A Major | The Odyssey Online

5 Reasons Why You Should Consider Accounting As A Major

A short list of advantages of being an accounting major.

394
Author

1. There are tons of job opportunities.

Most people when you bring up seeking a job in accounting believe it to be the worst job because it seems so tedious. This leads to a lot of job openings because there are more older people in the workforce than young people because we are not as interested. Many older senior partners have to stay working in their firms just to keep them going; therefore, if you get an accounting degree you are pretty much guaranteed to find a open position.

2. It is one of the best paying jobs.

In the chart above, it displays the different amounts of money you can make with the many different careers in accounting. Everybody in the world has money, and everybody has to pay taxes. If you are a responsible adult who can help people make good decisions with their money and fill out the proper paperwork, people will pay you giant sums of money (depending on what your client base is). If you look at the image the least amount you will make is in the 35,000 dollars and up range, which is better than some school teachers make.

3. You can do almost anything with this degree.

Honestly, being a 19 almost 20 year old there are many times when I wonder what I should do with my life, am I making the right decisions? One fantastic thing about this degree are there are job opportunities in many different positions in many different locations, so the possibilities are endless. So for the indecisive millennial, a degree in accounting may be the way to go.

4. It will help you in the future.

Whether it is just you moving out for the first time, or managing your family's finances, a basic knowledge of how to manage your money can be essential. Like I previously stated, everybody has money and if you currently don't have money right now you will eventually. Accounting and finance can help you create budgets, calculate saving plans, make sound investments, and make an amortization schedule to keep with your monthly payments on your house and car and you can learn all this in a basic accounting course at college.

5. Not All Accountants are Lame

In my cover photo, I thought it would ironic to insert a picture of what everyone believes that every single accountant looks like. Accountants are assumed to be dull and boring with our pen protectors and calculators. However, on the weekends we are just as adventurous as everyone else. Yes, I am very studious, but I love to ride roller-coasters, and to dye my hair green to match my camo as I go airsofting. So if you think that you won't make any friends in the field because you like to be wild and adventurous, you're dead wrong.

So for all the people in college who are undecided and are thinking, what should I do with my life, I strongly consider taking an accounting course. You may take it and decide that you absolutely hate, but you will walk away knowing some basic information about finances and how to comprehend financial statements in the business world, which is great if you want to make quite a bit of money investing in companies. If you take it and you decide you love it, I hope that we will meet in the field one day.