5 New & Different Shows To Watch Over The Holiday Break | The Odyssey Online

5 New & Different Shows To Watch Over The Holiday Break

Five shows that no one talks about that you should add to your Netflix watch list over the holiday break.

30
Kelsey Collier

One of my favorite things about holiday breaks is getting to go through Netflix and find different types of shows to watch before I have to go back to real life, where I don't have time to search for new things to watch. Here are my different-than-the-average suggestions for shows to marathon over the holiday break:

1. Once Upon a Time

A show that should be on every watch-list, Once Upon a Time is a show that takes classic Disney/fairy-tale characters (such as Snow White, the Evil Queen, Rumpelstiltskin, Belle, and The Wicked Witch of the West) and puts a new spin on their stories.

The premise of the show is that the Evil Queen, who has it out for Snow White, has put a curse on all of the fairy-tale characters who reside in the Enchanted Forest to live their lives in a place called Storybrooke, Maine. In Storybrooke, the residents of the Enchanted Forest can't remember their true identities and live as "normal" people, until Emma Swan comes to town and breaks the Evil Queen's curse.

Most episodes revolve around only one or two specific characters and follow two storylines: One set in Storybrooke, where they have some problem they are trying to work out, and one set in the Enchanted Forest, which tells about who they were there and where they are having to solve a similar problem to the one they have in Storybrooke.

Once Upon a Time is one of those shows that is easy to get hooked on, but that you have to watch every episode of to understand. There are five seasons on Netflix, and each one has 22 episodes in it.

If you are into fairy-tales that have a twist in them and you haven't checked this show out, it is well-worth the watch.

2. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful, like Once Upon a Time, takes characters from old Penny Dreadful novels and stories, such as Dorian Grey from The Picture of Dorian Grey, Frankenstein and his monster from Frankenstein, and Count Dracula from Dracula, and puts them all together in one universe. Penny Dreadful is set in the 19th century and revolves around Vanessa Ives (played by the incredible Eva Green), who is cursed by The Devil and is constantly battling dark forces while trying to keep her faith and inner light intact.

Penny Dreadful is a great show for fans of classic horror stories, but you don't really have to know those stories to get into the show (though it does help and make the show all the more interesting). Most episodes move from character to character and shows what they are up to in the moment, but there is at least one episode in each season that focuses on only one or two specific characters, and some include flashbacks that explain how the characters came to be the way they are in the present time.

This show is only three series (to use the British word, since this is a British show) long, and each season has only 8-10 episodes in it. However, this show is more densely-packed that others and can, at times, be slightly difficult to watch because of the intense subject matter that some episodes feature. It is definitely a show for a more "mature" audience, and is not for the faint of heart. If you are super into the horror genre, though, it is an awesome show and is definitely one to add to your watch-list.

3. Peaky Blinders

Peaky Blinders is set in 1920s Birmingham and revolves around a gang who run a betting shop and, just having returned from fighting in the First World War, are looking to move up in the world and to expand their business interests and their criminal influence.

This show is set around Thomas Shelby (played by Cillian Murphy), his brothers, his sister, and his Aunt Polly (played by Helen McCrory, a.k.a. Narcissa Malfoy), among other characters. This show, like the others on this list, is one that you have to watch from start to finish to understand; each episode flows into the next, and each season features a new obstacle that the Shelbys, both as a gang and as individuals, have to overcome.

This, again, is a very "mature" show and features a heavy amount of violence, because, hey, gangsters gotta fight. The appeal of this show is that, unlike other British shows that are shot in a very Downton-Abbey-gritty-realist sort of way, it is shot in a much more "romantic" way that is inspired by the way American Westerns are shot. There are three series of the show, and each one is six episodes long. Peaky Blinders is very unique and is thoroughly entertaining and thought-provoking, and is great to watch if you are into romantic dramas that detail the lives of criminals and makes you sympathize with them.

4. Charmed

For those who are looking for something a bit more old-school, Charmed is a tried-and-true classic that centers around three sisters who discover that they are witches who must use their powers to protect innocent people from evil powers while keeping their powers a secret from those around them.

Each episode features a new storyline and a new evil force for the sisters to deal with. The show has a very late-90s/early-2000s vibe and is a little bit cheesy in certain aspects, but is definitely entertaining and worth the watch if you a) enjoy shows from that era, and b) enjoy shows that involve magic. This show has 8 seasons with 22 episodes in each one, and is a very fun show to binge-watch while you eat popcorn and leftover Christmas goodies.

5. Wild France and Wild Australia with Ray Mears

For my documentary-and-nature-show-loving people, Wild France and Wild Australia (which I am counting as one show since they are part of the same series of documentaries) take you to the "wild sides" of these two popular tourist countries. I enjoy seeing what it is like in other places around the world, and what I like about this series is that it highlights parts of France and Australia that you don't normally think about when you think of going to those countries.

Each half-hour episode takes you to a different part of each country and shows you the wild animals, flora, fauna, etc. that can be found in the area. There are six episodes in each series, and are fun to casually watch while you wrap gifts or clean house.

I hope this list gave you a few new and different shows to add to your watch-list over the break. These are some of my favorite shows, and I hope they become your favorites too.

Happy Holidays!