5 Neo-Soul Artists Who Rejuvenated R&B | The Odyssey Online

5 Neo-Soul Artists Who Rejuvenated R&B

These artists are worth your time.

754
5 Neo-Soul Artists Who Rejuvenated R&B
msecnd.net

Neo-Soul was a subgenre of R&B music that blended several music styles, including Jazz, Hip Hop, and Soul. It reached its commercial peak around the early 2000s, and has largely died out or been diffused, as the doldrums of modern music have reared their heads. It’s a largely female-driven genre, as its style clearly coincides well with the female voice. Neo-Soul gave the R&B genre a much needed rejuvenation, as late 90s R&B consisted of increasingly carbon copy beats and lyrics. Neo-Soul created chill sounds with hip hop oriented beats, and interesting lyrics centered around love and politics.

Here are 5 Neo-Soul Artists Who Rejuvenated R&B

1. Sade

Sade is a British-Nigerian singer who has been active since 1983. Most of her music is influenced by jazz. She’s known for her icy, spaced out voice. She has a lesser amount of albums due to her periodic hiatuses. Two of her Albums “Love Deluxe” (1992) and “Lovers Rock” (2000) embodied a highly neo-soul style. “Love Deluxe” provided inspiration to the neo-soul genre, whereas “Lovers Rock” was definitely within the genre itself. These albums investigated many facets of relationships, cultures and society.

2. Erykah Badu

Erykah Badu is an American singer who’s been active since 1998. Though Badu is often referred to as “The Queen of Neo-Soul”, she disputes the name and doesn’t want to be tied to a particular genre. She often notes the importance and influence of hip-hop in her music, as one of her hits is “Love of my Life (An Ode To Hip-Hop)”, where she personifies hip-hop as a friend and mentor. Her first two albums “Baduizm” (1998) and “Mama’s Gun” (2003) are two of the most dynamic albums in the neo-soul genre.

3. India.Arie

India.Arie is an American singer who’s been active since 2000. She descends from Liberia and Sierra Leone, and often references this in her music. India.Arie often blends more exotic-sounding styles with her neo-soul sound. India.Arie’s first two albums “Acoustic Soul” (2001) and “Voyage to India” (2002) most embodied the neo-soul spirit, and unsurprisingly are her best.

4. Lauryn Hill

Lauryn Hill is an American artist who is both a hip hop and a neo-soul icon. She’s been active since 1993. She was a member of the hip-hop group The Fugees until 1996. Her neo-soul style came when she went solo thereafter. She adds hip hop to her neo-soul albums, and often incorporates rap along with her singing. Her most well-known album “Miseducation of Lauryn Hill” (1998) is a staple of the neo-soul genre.

5. Musiq SoulChild

Musiq SoulChild is an American artist from Philadelphia. He’s been active since 2000. His musical style blends several influences, including soul, funk, hip hop and jazz. Most of Musiq’s lyrical content is demonstrative of the relationship-oriented aspects of neo-soul lyricism. His debut album “Aijuswanaseing” (2000) and his second album “Juslisten” (2002) are both certified Platinum and are great examples of neo-soul music and style.