5 Important Things I've Learned From Working With Special Education Students | The Odyssey Online

5 Important Things I've Learned From Working With Special Education Students

You won't find this in your textbooks.

89
Red Tricycle

Since the 8th grade, I have spent time working in classrooms with special education students. Let me tell you, I have met some pretty incredible people along the way. These children have gone from peers that I would see in school hallways, to friends that have taught me more about life than any history or science class ever could. After my first year in college, I found myself thinking back to the incredible memories I have with these friends, and I wouldn’t trade our time together for the world. While no words could amount to the love I have for them and all they have shown me about life, here are a few things that they continue to remind me each day:

1. We all excel at different things.

Every day of my senior year, I spent an hour in the gym with a student named David*. My friend and I were his designated partners, and the three of us developed a pretty special bond. We would play basketball, draw with chalk, and talk about pretty much anything.

One day, he decided to start speaking in a different language, one that I didn’t recognize. He then told me he was speaking Farsi, and that he was fluent in three languages: English, Farsi, and Spanish. That is incredible. So often these students are stereotyped as being unintelligent, and David’s affinity for language proves that to be far from true. This boy has taught me that while we all may struggle with different things (for me, that thing is math), everyone is good at something.

*Name has been altered for the safety of the student.

2. A smile goes a long way.

High school can be a trying time for everyone: classes are hard, college is coming, and drama starts from just about anything. For me, my senior year was particularly rough, as my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer that fall. This was about the same time I started working with David. While he wasn’t completely sure what was going on in my home life, he did know that my mom was sick, and that sometimes I got sad. He began to greet me with a hug each day, and asked “How are you doing?”, “How is your mom?”

He even asked how my dog was doing, through his toothy grin. He had no idea how much these simple questions meant to me, and his optimism and positive outlook on life started to rub off on me. I began to realize the power of a smile, and noticed how the littlest things can make someone’s day. Now, I make it a point in my everyday life to smile at someone I don’t know, to be kind when nobody is watching. David taught me that, chances are, somebody needed that to keep them going.

3. Dance like nobody is watching.

I take this one figuratively, but also quite literally. A few of the classrooms I have worked in over the years take part in “Dance Party Fridays,” and it might be the greatest thing ever invented.

Basically, the students choose a music video for their teacher to play, and they dance like crazy with all their friends. Some of the most popular choices include the Adele, Lionel Richie, and One Direction (they might have broken up, but their songs are still jams). Watching these kids dance without a care in the world has showed me that you shouldn’t mind what people think of you. Don’t worry about embarrassing yourself, or being too out of the ordinary. This especially rings true when it comes to social media. I often find myself trying to take the coolest pictures for Instagram, or Snapchatting everything I do.

These kids have reminded me that I don’t need to put on a show for anyone, and staying true to myself will make me the happiest. Simple is boring, and unique people make the best of friends.

4. Counting calories is overrated.

Part of my time working with special education students was spent in the cafeteria, as I would help them get their lunch and keep them company while they ate. I quickly learned what each kid preferred to eat, with options ranging from chicken nuggets to cookies and pudding.

David (like the sweet friend he is) would always offer me a bite of his food. He loved to talk about my meals for the day, and offered up some great restaurant advice. This guy is a foodie. Watching David and his friends enjoy whatever they wanted to eat helped me realize that while a healthy lifestyle is necessary, obsessing over every calorie I consume is not.

If I want a chocolate chip cookie, I should eat that cookie. There are bigger things in life to worry about than the numbers on a food label.

5. The best friendships are unexpected.

When I first volunteered to work in the special education classrooms as an 8th grader, I never could have imagined how big of an impact those experiences would have on my life. I developed so many incredible friendships over the years, many of which continue to live on today. Coming back from college to visit David and his friends not only shows me the impact I have had on their lives, but how much I value our friendship. These students are so loving, and find joy in the simplest things.

I am so thankful for the memories we have shared, and the person they have helped me become.