5 Iconic Movies That Should NEVER Be Remade | The Odyssey Online

5 Iconic Movies That Should NEVER Be Remade

"Me and Jenny goes together like peas and carrots"

90
Wikipedia

With the vast majority of movies in theatres these days being either book-to-movie adaptations or remakes of beloved Disney classics, there is a pattern of people wondering if Hollywood has officially run out of ideas. While some of these new Disney live action movies are a delightful addition to the screen, movie enthusiasts were extremely disappointed in the remaking of one of the most iconic movies ever, Ghostbusters. Although I have to commend this female driven cast, I am in the boat with those in favor of letting some movies stand on their own without a brand new interpretation that will inevitably flop. Not every movie can have the success that the brand new Star Wars received, and here is a few movies I think should be allowed to remain untouched.

1. "Forrest Gump"

Are you even surprised? This six-time Academy Award winning film has been cherished by critics and families alike with its warm hearted plot and iconic lines. Tom Hanks starred as Forrest Gump and told the story of a man with an IQ of 75 that has a heart of gold and becomes a major influencer in the times surrounding him. Although based on a book of the same name, Forrest Gump has and will always be a classic film that surely everyone has seen at some point in their life.

2. "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"

This Jim Carrey classic was one of the first pioneers of the "manic pixie dream girl" archetype and featured other big names such as Titanic's Kate Winslet, Bring It On's Kirsten Dunst and Lord of the Rings' Elijah Wood. This film tells the tale of a couple that meets in a strange way and falls in love so fast and carelessly that they think the only way to ever be fine again after the breakup is to completely erase one another from their memory. This heartbreaking movie speaks volumes about falling in love when you think your life is over and offers a fresh perspective on the typical romdramady (romance-drama-comedy) that can (and should) never be duplicated.

3. "Fight Club"

I would go into detail about why one of Brad Pitt's most well known movies should never be remade, but as someone who knows the first rule of Fight Club, I'll have to refrain from doing so.

4. "Legally Blonde"

Although not Reese Witherspoon's first major role, it's arguably her most iconic behind her portrayal of June Carter Cash in 'Walk the Line'. Legally Blonde is so much more than just a chick flick (*pause for eye roll*). The way Elle overcomes the animosity of her peers at Harvard Law just to spite the man who broke her heart (and find out who she truly is and could be), shows that this is a film with which anyone, yes anyone, can relate. With the scarce amount of spunky blondes in Hollywood at the moment, it is safe to say that this one will remain safe. Even if they already made a sequel and turned it into a Broadway show.

5. "The Breakfast Club"

Many have tried and many more have failed to recreate the most famous scenes from this John Hughes classic. Not only was this movie the first to truly put me in the rebellious spirit, it was one that taught all of us the true meaning of never judging a book by its cover. It showed that each and every one of us is a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess, and a criminal and will go down in history as one of the most well-known and liked films.

While it was extremely difficult to narrow it down to only five movies that should remain untouched by box office moguls looking for their next big thing, the list could really drag on and on forever. Let us all hope that our favorites get to stand on solid ground for years to come and stay the original classics we all know and love.