5 Horror Novels You Should Be Reading This Summer

For those who enjoy being scared by the campfire.

130
Psycho Scream Queen

As summer quickly approaches, most are starting to look forward to vacations, parties, and lounging by the pool for most of the day. Summer is also a time to be spooked and scared as we all once were around the campfire at some point in our lives. Well now it's time to start the campfire once again, and dive into these horror novels for the summer.

1. Stephen King's "Joyland"

This novel makes the top, not only because it's a phenomenal book, but because it is also based in the summer time. The book's protagonist, Devin, takes a summer job at Joyland, a traveling carnival. There's a grotesque murder that only Stephen King can deliver to an audience, as well as an interesting love interest. Readers also get an "insiders looking in" perspective of Carny life.

You can buy "Joyland"here on Amazon.

2. William Peter Beatty's "The Exorcist"

I know, I know, why should you read the book when you can just watch the classic 1973 movie? Well, I'm always the firm believer that if you enjoy the movie, the book is usually so much better. Case in point, The Exorcist. Readers get a whole knew insight on the character's and events that take place, as well as a better look at the mother-daughter dynamic of Chris and Regan McNeil.

You can buy "The Exorcist"here on Amazon.

3. Stephen King's "Cell"

"Another Stephen King?" you must be asking. What can I say? I have an absurdly big writer's crush on his style. So yes, another one. It's a good time to read Cell as it's actually in the process of adapting to film and will be in theatres July 8. This one is great for anyone obsessed with the end of the world, and it comes in perhaps the unlikeliest place. The book follows Clay Riddell as he fights his way through this new world to find his son.

You can buy "Cell"here on Amazon.

4. Tess Gerritsen's "The Bone Garden"

This book is unique in the fact that it has a present day protagonist names Julia Hamill, who has just made a horrifying discovery on the property of her new home. The book also has a protagonist in 1830 Boston names Norris Marshall, who is a new medical student tasked with digging up corpses in the graveyard to sell on the black market. How these two stories eventually come together is a fantastic read and will definitely leave you feeling thrilled.

You can buy "The Bone Garden"here on Amazon.

5. Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein"

Definitely an oldy, but definitely a goody. This classic tale not only shows us the workings of the mind of Dr. Frankenstein, but also shows us the mind of the monster he has created. The book deals a lot with god complexes, the distinction between right and wrong, and how actions lead to consequences all wrapped up in a monster book. Plus, you can brag to your friends about how cultured and intellectual you are because you managed to get through it.

You can buy "Frankenstein" here on Amazon.