5 Things That Happen When You Go From A Small Town To A Big University | The Odyssey Online

5 Things That Happen When You Go From A Small Town To A Big University

Us small-towners know that we may be coming face to face with some, well... culture shock.

5
Pixels

Anyone getting ready to make their way onto the campus of a large University this fall has spent a significant amount of time trying to imagine all the ways that it will be different from life in their hometown. And while this transition can be difficult (and exciting!) for every new student, us small-towners know that we may be coming face to face with some, well... culture shock. Whether you're from a one horse town or quite frankly, the middle of nowhere, here are just a few things that you can expect when you take on college this fall.

1. Whenever you tell people that you graduated from a class of 75 (or less) they will look at you like you went to school in a barn.

"Guys I swear, it was an actual school. I can read and write okay?"

2. People will always assume that you love country music.

Whether it's a new Florida Georgia Line hit or just a song about a truck, they will probably assume that it's your favorite song. Because that's what we do in the country, we all gather around a fire and we sing songs about trucks. If anything, at least everyone will be able to agree on the fact that Luke Bryan and Sam Hunt are yummy.

3. You will always hear, "so what is there to do in your hometown?"

Well we do have a movie theatre. And a Walmart. And we have an Applebee's, everyone really loves to go there. Doing anything else kind of involves a road trip.

4. They'll be shocked when you tell them everything you were involved with in high school.

"I just did choir, marching band, musicals, cheerleading, soccer, basketball and track. Nothing too crazy." People that went to large high schools could usually only be involved in one sport or extracurricular, maybe even two if they were lucky. And then you'll have to explain to them that you aren't an acting/singing/athletic prodigy, but rather that a lack of people simply meant that you could participate in almost anything you were interested in. There were never really tryouts per say, it was usually just signups.

5. You will most likely be the only person from your high school to go there.

Unlike people who will have 50 to 100 plus students from their graduating class there, you might be the only one from your school. Which can be pretty scary at first, but it is truly a blessing in disguise. You may have the comfort of old friends stripped away, but without a familiar comfort zone you will be forced to reach out to those around you, find clubs and organizations that interest you, and make all new friends.