5 Dead Giveaways You're Not From Florida, You Just Go To School Here

I'd pick "Subway" over "Pub Subs" any day.

270
Emily Beltran

I've gone to school in Florida for the past two years, but it's still so easy for people to tell that I'm not from here. Growing up my family and I would vacation on different, Florida beaches every summer, so whenever I'm in this beautiful state, a piece of me still thinks I'm a tourist.

Here are five telltale signs of someone who isn't a local, when I do these things, my Floridian friends are instantly reminded that I'm not from here.

1. I'd pick "Subway" over "Pub Subs" any day

Unpopular opinion: I don't get what all of the hype is about! I prefer my chicken tenders served with a side of fries as opposed to inside a pound of soggy white bread, but that's just me. When it comes to Publix in general, I rarely go because I can never find what I'm looking for! Target just makes me feel at home and when it's the same distance from my house, Target always wins. Oh and don't get me started on "Zephyrhills"...

2. I want to go to the beach every day

Everyone complains about how there is not much to do down here, in South West Florida, except go to the beach, but for me, that's the whole reason why I came! I don't want to go anything but go to the beach, I'm someone who could actually spend every minute of the day laying out by the water, and I do way more than dermatologist recommends.

3. I always get excited when I see an alligator

Whether the only part of the gator visible is it's two eyes glowing in the darkness, or it's fully sunning itself on the grass next to a pond, I will spot it, and not shut up about it until it's no longer in my sight of vision. Every time I do this my friends joke about how they need to take me to Gatorland, and I would absolutely love that, they're just so cute! Oh, and when a gator's walking across campus, that's the best!

4. I'm not over hurricane season

I don't understand how it can rain so much every day! The wet season is the worst, it already feels like 95% humidity but then it's going to rain every day too, definitely not the place for good hair. Rain boots and an umbrella are a definitely a staple in my wardrobe every fall season. Speaking of wardrobes, how anyone can wear jeans when it's 80 degrees out is beyond me, but props to them, I would have a heatstroke.

5. I couldn't tell you where any big city in Florida is, except maybe Miami

I've been all over Florida before moving here for college, and to even more places since living here, but I still don't know where anything is. Most people who aren't from Florida are under this impression that everything in Florida is close, I've heard "I'll be in (fill in the blank with any beach in Florida) next weekend, we should meet up" and usually where they will be is at least 4 hours from me. I understand though because I still don't know where anything is, "Oh you're from Lakeland, is that near Fort Lauderdale?" the answer is no.

As you can see, I'm definitely not a local Floridian, born and raised, but I do love Florida and I am very happy my life since living here for school. I get to live not only in Fort Myers, where I can be at the beach in a half an hour but in Maryland as well, where I can see wide open fields for miles, it's my own version of the best of both worlds.