5 Common Myths About College Marching Band | The Odyssey Online

5 Common Myths About College Marching Band

Continuing doing what I love was one of the best decisions

917
Facebook

Choosing to march in college was definitely one of the best decisions I have ever made! I was able to make instant friendships the week before school started, travel all over the US, have the best seats at football games and learn so much about myself.

Even though I am not a music major, I really enjoy playing my flute and band has played such an important role in my life so far. In my graduating class in high school, I was the only flute player who went on to continue with band in college. Whenever I was in high school and friends would tell me that they did not want to continue with band in college, they usually cited one of these five things as their answer. However, I am here to tell the world that these myths are not true and that being a part of a college marching band is truly a magical life-changing experience!

1. Only music majors march in college.

Okay, this one is anything but true. Yes, all instrumental music majors at my school are required to march for their first 2 years and there are quite a few music majors. However, every college and pretty much every major at the University of Arkansas is represented here in the Razorback Marching Band! The RMB has students majoring in everything including engineering, pre-med, education, pre-law, business, theatre, agriculture, and psychology.

2. Music scholarships only go to music majors.

Maybe this goes for other schools, but definitely not for the U of A. In high school, I was told that band scholarships only go to music majors and that it was nearly impossible to get one as a flute player. I was never in all-state or all-region and I didn’t even make the top concert band at my high school until my senior year. But I was still able to earn a music scholarship! Most of the non-music major members of the Razorback Marching Band are on scholarships ranging from $500 to $2000 a year.

3. You can’t be in both Greek life and marching band.

This is probably the number one reason why most people I know chose not to march in college. When I came to college, I thought that is was impossible to be in both band and sorority, but I later learned that it is definitely doable, even if you won’t have much free time. We have members of the Razorback Marching Band representing the sororities, Chi Omega, Delta Gamma, Alpha Chi Omega, Phi Mu, Pi Beta Phi and Alpha Delta Pi. Me and six other girls are also a part of Sigma Phi Lambda, which is the Christian sorority.

We also have members of the RMB representing fraternities such as Pike, BYX, and Fiji. Plus, there is also the band service sorority, Tau Beta Sigma, and the band service fraternity, Kappa Kappa Psi. There is also a music sorority called Sigma Alpha Iota and a music fraternity called Phi Mu Alpha. Being in both band and a sorority is most definitely a big time commitment and good time management is key, but it is so worth it and I will do whatever it takes to stay involved in both organizations.

4. It’s too much of a time commitment.

Yes, marching band does take up a lot of time as anyone knows, but I actually calculated how much the RMB rehearses each week and it is the same amount of time that I rehearsed each week while in high school. Most schools will rehearse for about 2 hours a day for 3 or 4 days a week. Unlike high school, the rehearsals are in the late afternoon/evening. I am still able to balance being in band, choir, a sorority, and volunteering for an hour each week on top of 15 hours and I am still able to get good grades and have plenty of free time to take naps and watch Netflix.

Everything about college marching band is fast-paced and rehearsals are very focused since we pretty much learn a new show each week for most footballs games. So much is accomplished at every individual rehearsal and the reward is that we get to put together these amazing shows that the fans love!

5. You have to pay for band trips.

In high school, band trips for me cost anywhere from $600 to $1200 and we took trips to place like Disney World or St. Louis. So much fundraising went into these trips and the hotels we ended up staying in were definitely not the best. However, in college, the school pays for all the trips to away games! The band usually gets to stay in top-notch luxury hotels and most meals are paid for.

On one band trip I went on, the school even paid for us to spend a day at Main Event and have unlimited laser tag! With the RMB, I have traveled to Dallas twice for the game against Texas A&M, Memphis for the Autozone Liberty Bowl and Charlotte for the Belk Bowl. Bowl games are so much fun!

College marching has most definitely pushed me in so many ways and was a huge step out of my comfort zone, but it was all totally worth it and I am so glad that I am a part of the Best in Sight and Sound! I have gained so much from the largest student organization at the University of Arkansas and I wouldn’t have it any other way!