4 Reasons to Develop a Close Relationship with Your Parents | The Odyssey Online

4 Reasons to Develop a Close Relationship with Your Parents

"Family, like branches on a tree, grow in different directions, but our roots remain as one."

906
tomwang

Growing up is hard for everyone in their own way, especially during the teenage years. The teenage years are when you are just starting to learn independence and going out into the world. It is normal to make many mistakes as a teenager such as sneaking out of the house or lying to your parents. There will also be lots of disagreements, arguments, and door slamming. The important key to all of it, however, is to keep a close relationship with your parents. Of course, it is not always easy for everyone, certainly not me, and it is much harder as a teenager because you want to do things your own way. However, here are many reasons why a close relationship is important and how to achieve one.

1. An open relationship and line of communication create a sense of trust from both sides

An open line of communication stems from a close relationship. While both sides do have to contribute to the relationship, sometimes it is easier to just make the first move yourself. Being a parent is difficult and stressful, so being the one, a child, to step up and willingly be honest without having to be told to do so can be very helpful. Not only will that boost your parents trust in you, but you will also be seen as more responsible because you did it willingly on your own. I know it is really hard to do this especially with traditional parents like who came to America from Vietnam, but an open line of communication will only benefit your relationship.

2. Always having someone to confide in

Keeping your feelings all pent up inside causes inner conflict, so it is important to have someone to confide in. Who better to confide in other than your parents? They would never intentionally hurt you nor would they have any reason to go spread all your secrets and start drama. If you and your parents are close and you have already told them everything, then you won't have anything to hide later on when you need someone to talk to. Your parents will always be there for you no matter what, so being close to them gives you someone trustworthy to confide in.

3. Being given more freedom and more relaxed rules

Something that I have always struggled with is getting to go out whether it be with my cousins for a girls night or with my friends to the mall. As I got older and developed a better relationship with my parents, I was able to have friends over more often and go out to late night movies. However, it is important to remember that you can't take advantage of your freedom because your parents trusted you with it and understand you just have to be out on your own sometimes.

4. Live and come home to a more positive environment

Having a close relationship with your parents does not mean that you guys won't still argue every once in a while or have a disagreement. However, the closeness does allow for a more positive home environment because there is nothing to stress or worry about if you and your parents understand each other and talk to each other about everything.

Your parents will always be there for you no matter what, so why not try to make the most of it and build a better relationship with them?