4 Facts You Probably Don't Know About Hamilton

Sorry, my #Hamiltrash self couldn't help but share these facts I learned

318
DailyDot

Lin-Manuel Miranda's hit show Hamilton, is pretty well known. However, there are somethings that most people don't realize about it. From references to various scripture passages to having the fastest lyrics in all of theatre history, allow me enlighten you on my favorite show.

First of all, people could argue the historical correctness of the show. But, the show's creator took this very seriously. After reading Ron Chernow's biography of Alexander Hamilton, Lin Manuel Miranda proceeded to read letters and works, visited sites that were historicaly relevant to the Founding Father and sites that were important to American Revolution around NYC. But that isn't where his research stopped. He proceeded to read information in order to understand Aaron Burr and the dueling rules of the time period as well. In addition, Miranda brought Chernow onto the production team as a historical consultant to keep things as accurate as possible.

The soundtrack to this show also boasts some interesting things. We all know there is a lot of rap in Hamilton and that "Guns and Ships" is the fastest song in the show. Not only is it fastest in the show, it is the fastest song in all of musical theatre history. With an average of 6.3 words per second, it's clear to see why. Hamilton's music contains over 20,000 words, all squeezed into two and a half hours, working out to be about 144 words per minute. Not only are the songs unique, but where some of them were written are also slightly bizarre. "You'll Be Back" was written while Lin was on his honeymoon and Aaron Burr's "Wait For It" was written on the subwway.

Another thing, many of the show's character are played by someone playing two roles. For example, Daveed Diggs plays America's favorite fighting frenchman, Marquis de Lafayette in Act 1 and Thomas Jefferson, who just came home from France, during Act 2. Philip Hamilton and John Laurens were both portrayed by Anthony Ramos, Maria Reynolds and Peggy Schuyler were played by Jasmine Cephas Jones, and lastly Okieriete Onaodowan played Hercules Mulligan and James Madison. I honestly never recongized this fact until I did looked up the cast after seeing that Lafayette and Jefferson looked very similar.

My last Hamilton fact is that this show contains many references to scripture. For example, the number "One Last Time" sung by George Washington as he informs Hamilton of his retirement references Micah 4:4. The lyrics go "Like the scripture say: / Everyone shall sit under their own vine and fig tree / and no one shall make them afraid." which are almost exactly how Micah 4:4 reads. But there are also other references to the Bible made, but not as directly as this. "A Winter's Ball" talkes about being seated at the right hand of the father, making several references including Matthew 22:44, Romans 8:34; Ephesians 1:20; Colossians 3:1; and 1 Peter 3:22. These lyrics are almost all the exact wording the Bible frequently uses to talk about where Jesus sits, interceding on behalf of his people. These two songs barely scratch the surface, other references are made as well, including the books of Job and Isaiah, the Psalms,and Proverbs.

Well, now that you've been informed on my favorite show currently on Broadway, did anything surprise you? Go give the soundtrack a listen and enjoy the fastest lyrics in theatre history, some quality scripture references, and see if you can pick up on the vocal similarites between some of the characters.