3 Factors To A Long Distance Relationship

It is not easy, but it can work.

999
Saige Lindell

It's never a situation you plan on being in. Especially when you start a relationship, you expect to see them most days out of the week and end up annoying each other with how much time you actually spend together. However, every once in a while a long distance relationship can happen. When I met my boyfriend (who is in the Air Force), we had only a month to get to know each other before he was stationed at his first location. It was one of those moments where we knew it wasn't going to be easy, but we both felt a connection and wanted to give us a chance at a relationship. It is not an easy situation, but there are 3 key factors to a long distance relationship you must have in order to make it work.

1. Communication

Honestly, this should be common sense. It is the only thing you truly have with your significant other till you can see each other again. Whether it is texting, phone calls, Skype, or even writing letters, you must communicate. Tell each other about your days, how much you miss one another, and plan for the future. This is a great time to really take the chance to get to know each other. Learn about your partner on a deeper mental level. However, you cannot get discouraged when the conversations are shorter or there isn't much to talk about. It can happen especially if it is a boring week or day. Just like any other relationship, you will hit rough patches and you must talk through them. I can't say it enough communicate, communicate, COMMUNICATE!

2. Honesty

Being completely honest with each other can be hard sometimes. Trust me, there have been plenty of nights where my boyfriend and I were brutally honest to each other and feelings were hurt. However, it has made us stronger as a couple. If you are open to your significant other and tell them how you feel, it will pay off in the long run. Whether it makes you stronger together, or it shows that things won't work out. Some days you may even question if you can even still manage being away from each other or if you can make it through the distance. You must be honest if you are feeling that way to stay on the same page as one another. You must be honest as to what you need from each other, whether it is some more space or more attention. Some days you may need to swallow your fear of hurting the other person's feeling, but they will have to understand if you don't say those certain things you feel it could cause more problems later on in the relationship.

3. Patience

This is definitely the hardest part. The waiting. It is hard watching all your friends taking cute pictures with their boyfriends and girlfriends. It is hard not getting to feel your significant other's presence or getting to go on dates. Some days make you go crazy because all you simply want to do is look over to see them there and not through a screen. It is hard being patient especially if you are on opposite schedules like me and my boyfriend are. He works graveyard shift, and I'm during the day. We may only see each other once a month or every few months.There are couples who obviously have it way worse. However, when you do get to see one another, it is the greatest feeling in the world. All of the waiting is worth it because you don't take the time together for granted.

In conclusion, it's not easy being in a long distance relationship. Not many people can handle the stress or the distance. I was lucky to find a man who was kind, caring, and patient enough to go through this time with me. If you end up finding yourself in a long distance relationship, then just remember these 3 key factors. Communicating , being honest, and being patient. When two people truly love each other, the distance is just a minor inconvenience because you know what you have is stronger than the miles between you. I wish you all the best.