3 Disney Channel Fashion Looks Every Girl In The Early 2000s Wanted To Rock

Because they were so horribly trendy.

919
Disney Channel

Fashion. We all take part in it. Some more than others. And some fashion eras are recognized as the pinnacle of style. Classy '50s, Groovy '70s, Grungy '90s… But there’s one fashion era that gets a bad rap, and that’s the early 2000s. A time when everyone seems to have lost their minds and started wearing knit boleros, matching all-denim outfits, long handkerchief skirts with Ugg boots… The list goes on. But like it or not, if you were a kid born in the '90s, you were all about this aesthetic in your adolescence.

But who influenced us the most? Where did we get all these horrifically trendy fashion ideas from? Well, for a lot of us, it was the Disney Channel. Specifically, three shows that gave us the horrible ideas to wear mismatched and disproportionate outfits.

1. "Lizzie McGuire"

EVERY GIRL wanted to be Lizzie. She was pretty and blonde, and she had the absolute best clothes. Somehow she made bell bottom jeans and butterfly tops look fabulous.

And this top was probably wanted by thousands of girls, at some point, probably.

I mean, look at Lizzie and best friend Miranda in this picture. Does this not SCREAM your fashion goals in the early 2000s? The flash and the sparkly, the British flag in black and gray stressed metallic, choker necklaces and fun printed skirts, all together in an ensemble? I look at these two and I hear the song “Lucky” by Britney Spears. It reminds me of a better time.

And take a look at this picture of Lizzie. Admit it. This was your aesthetic goals. Down to the velvet ruffle top that’s somewhat reminiscent of a pirate, and the multiple bean bag chairs.

2. "That's So Raven"

Obviously. Raven is many things, but on the show, she was also a fashion designer. That’s a questionable story line, however.

Like, Raven, what the actual hell?

Raven’s fashion style is like if you liked Lizzie’s style, but wanted something a little edgier. For example, look at this outfit Raven is wearing below. The magenta fur on the collar AND the cuffs of this long jean jacket was probably on your must have list. Plus those pink graffiti jeans that meant you were a rebel, but a rebel with style.

Remember the episode when Raven’s high school made them all wear uniforms? Well, that didn’t fly with Raven Baxter. She was an artistic soul who couldn’t stand her creativity being stifled. Her individuality couldn’t be seen through the stiff and stuffy uniforms everyone else had to wear. So when she showed up to school with her new MODIFIED uniform, it made us all scream, “GO RAY!”

And, of course, the most iconic fashion moment on "That’s So Raven"… The dress. THE dress. The dress Raven designed that made it big on the runway, but they had a *skinny* model wear it on the front of the magazine, and sport it down the runway. So Raven, being an awesome human being, completely hijacked the runway show, showing up in the dress she designed, and completely OWNED that magazine lady with a speech about body positivity.

I honestly wanted this dress so bad.

And last, but not least…

3. "The Cheetah Girls"

Speaking of Raven, she makes a very important appearance in the critically acclaimed "The Cheetah Girls," a Disney Channel original movie. And by critically acclaimed, of course I mean that I am the critic here.

Look.

In a time where Juicy Couture track suits were somehow extraordinarily in style, "The Cheetah Girls" rocked it with their own matching tracksuits while singing about how individual and unique they were. And also that they were Cheetas, for some reason.

They can’t just have denim outfits, no. That wouldn’t be related to their band name enough. They had denim outfits that were individual to them, with cheetah prints anywhere they thought was appropriate.

And also here, similar Cheetah-licious outfits from the first movie. I low-key wanted to wear one of these so badly while singing their girl power song “Cinderella” just like they did.

Observe how the dog just kind of blends in.

My favorite fashion moment from "The Cheetah Girls" was in the second movie, however. When they sing “Cheetas Amigas” at that contest in Barcelona. I don’t know why but it was tough to find some quality photographs of these masterpieces.

What are they trying to hide from me?

Hopefully after reading this article, you’re re-thinking your current, boring 2016 fashion aesthetic. In no time, you’ll be sitting at the computer in this fashionable number: