25 Reasons I Will Miss The Joe Louis Arena

Is that an octopus in your pants - or are you just sad to see me go?

348
Detroit Moxie

First, some perspective. The Detroit Red Wings have been playing hockey at Joe Louis Arena since 1979. Sure, it’s named after a boxer, but in some ways that seems appropriate. What’s the old saying - “I went to a boxing match, and a hockey game broke out”? Anyway, the Red Wings have been making the playoffs every single year since I was born. As a matter of fact, they have made the playoffs starting in 1989, nine years BEFORE I was born. And the Joe Louis Arena has become a symbol of that phenomenal success. Sure, it’s now a bit outdated - its concourses are a bit narrower than modern stadiums and the bathrooms aren’t designed to accommodate the crowds. But you know what, for more than three decades it has captured the blue-collar, never-give-up, hard-hat essence of the city it represents. On Sunday, April 9th the Red Wings played their final game in The Joe. Construction of their new stadium - The Little Caesars Arena - is well underway and set to be completed in time for next season. So in the ‘Spirit of Detroit’ here are the top 25 reasons I will miss The Joe:

1. Octopi and Al Sobotka

A favorite tradition in Detroit. The octopus represents the number of games that it used to take to win the Stanley Cup - eight - when there were only six teams in the NHL. Every year, fans sneak octopi into The Joe (don’t ask how they do this, just be judicious in who you high five during a game), then toss the mollusk onto the ice. For nearly the last 20 seasons, Al Sobotka, the building operation manager at the Joe, has been responsible for scooping them off the ice. He became a cult hero when he started twirling the octopi over his head.

2. Navigating the gerbil tunnels connecting the Joe Louis parking and Joe Louis Arena.

3. “Born and Raised in South Detroit!”

Even though ‘south detroit’ isn’t really a thing….it’s actually called ‘downriver.’ But who wants to quibble when Steve Perry from Journey when he’s bellowing out that line? Plus, every fan at The Joe knows ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ will be paused just in time for everyone to scream ‘South Detroit’ at the tops of their lungs. This is played after every Red Wings home victory, by the way. In case you are wondering, the Red Wings have more victories at Joe Louis Arena than any other NHL team has at their home venue. Believe it!

4. The pervasive smell of beer in the stadium.

Let’s blame the Canadians for this (why not, right?). Much of the beer consumed at The Joe is Molson or Labatt. You have to remember, Detroit is the only major American city that is located NORTH of the Canadian border, and sits less than a mile (by tunnel or bridge) from Windsor, Ontario, Canada. Thank you Canucks, for the stale odor of ‘ginger ale’ at The Joe.

5. Billy Joel singing “one-two-three-four” when the Red Wings score four goals.

At this point, he should be re-named Billy Joe.

6. The ‘steps’

The huge staircase leading from the bank of the Detroit River to the main entrance of The Joe - watch your step when it’s snow-covered or when you have had a ‘few ginger-ales,’ as the Canadians like to say (and they would know).

7. The 7 banners hanging from the ceiling.

Unlike many professional franchises, the Red Wings are stingy with retiring jerseys. Even given their long history, they have only retired nine jerseys, seven of which can be seen hanging from the rafters at the Joe. It’s rarefied air indeed. NOTE: two of the numbers that have been retired do not hang in the Joe’s rafters. (the #6 jersey of Larry Aurie was taken out of circulation after the 1938-39 season, though the Red Wings organization does not consider it ‘retired.’ And the #16 jersey worn by Vladimir Konstantinov was retired after he was injured in a car accident following the Stanley Cup winning 1996-1997 season.)

8. The Olympia Club

Mention ‘the olympia’ to any Red Wing fan, and they know exactly what you are referring to. The Olympia Club is a pass-only exclusive bar named in tribute to the previous home of the Red Wings. It’s THE PLACE to see alumni, players (post-game), and other celebrities. I’m not sure, but the new Little Caesar’s Arena should feature an ‘Olympia Room’ and a ‘Joe Louis Arena’ room. 38 years from now, they will probably smell like Canadian beer too (let’s hope).

9. The beatles singing ‘Let it be’ when there is a review of a Red Wings goal.

I am not sure this helps to sway the refs, (especially now, with the reviews going to Toronto) but the fans always enjoy it.

10. Mr. I

Long-time team owner Mike Ilitch passed away in 2016. He is credited with, among other accomplishments, turning the one-time ‘Dead Wings’ into an NHL powerhouse. Rest In Peace, Mr. I.

11. The Little Ceasar’s Pizza Toss

Yes they actually toss pizza boxes into the stands. No, it’s not as messy as it sounds.

12. ‘Let’s go Red Wings’ chant.

Sure, the Toronto Maple Leafs have ‘Go Leafs Go!’ Fine, but my heart is with the ‘Let’s Go Red Wings’ rhythmic power chant by the rabid fans at the Joe. It’s MoTown after all. Nobody can sing like Detroiters.

13. Karen Newman singing the national anthem.

Karen Newman grew up in the suburbs of Detroit, and has been singing the national anthem at the Joe for two decades. She always gets the Red Wings games off to a roaring start, and is a fan favorite. She’s also a graduate of Oakland University, where my dad graduated.

14. The youth hockey players playing hockey during the intermissions

A few of them even went on to play in the NHL! But who cares if they don’t, they are a blast to watch. Most of the Red Wings fans stay in their seats to watch these short matchups. Bathroom break by damned!

15. Hockey Fights

Doesn’t matter who or why - just love the fights. What other sport only penalizes fights with a two-minute ‘minor’ penalty? Rock ‘em, sock ‘em. Yeah, baby, yeah!

16. Standing Room Only

A stadium that sells tickets to literally stand against the wall? And fans pay a lot of money for them? How cool is that?

17. The Red Wing’s tribute to our military members every game

Regardless of how well the Red Wings are playing, you can always count on one standing ovation during the game when the Red Wings organization recognizes members of our armed services. Goose bump moment every time.

18. Hockeytown

Okay, it’s a bit of marketing. But, hey, the Detroit area can boast of some of the finest professional, semi-professional and youth hockey teams in the world. So why not brag a little. And the United States National Hockey Team is in Southeast Michigan too.

19. Budd Lynch’s “one minute left to play in this period.”

Budd was the Red Wings announcer at Joe Louis Arena from 1985 until his death in 2012. In tribute to Budd, the Joe plays a recording of Budd announcing the final minute of play for every period.

20. The giant octopus they lower to the ice during the playoffs.

You want to hear a loud crowd in a jam-packed stadium? Exhibit A: ANY home playoff opener for the Detroit Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena.

21. Bloody Wednesday, Fight Night at the Joe, and Brawl in Hockeytown

The single greatest hockey game in NHL history - March 26, 1997. The Wings vs. Avalanche brawl. Mccarty beat up ‘the turtle’ lemieux and the goalies fought at center ice.

22. Home of ‘Mr. Hockey’

Gordie Howe, in case you happen to live under a rock.

23. The single greatest regular season in NHL history

1995-96 season - when the Wings won 62 games

24. The Captain, Nick, The Production Line, The Grind Line, The Russian Five (aka The Red Line), need I say more?

NOTE: If you don’t know what these are references to, just go away now. Really, just leave. How dare you call yourself a Wings fan.

25. The 25-year playoff streak

The third-longest streak in NHL history. Oh, and by the way. To the Bruins and Black Hawk fans out there - The Red Wings won four Stanley Cups during their streak, twice as many as your teams won combined during your streaks.

The Joe Louis Arena will live on in my heart - and the hearts of many fans - as the home of the Detroit Red Wings. Thanks, JLA, for so many memories. You will never be forgotten.