21 Things You Learn During the First Month of College

Because, of course, college is more than what you learn in the classroom.

19
21 Things You  Learn During the First Month of College
The Odyssey Online

Getting ready to head out to college, no one really knows what to expect unless they are a returning student. Incoming freshmen have all sorts of glorified ideas about what constitutes college life before they are even there themselves. In reality, you really don't understand what it's like to be a college student until you are actually a college student. For some, it's a crazy party, but for others, like me, it's a little more subdued. It's not all about where you go, either.

Each college and university inevitably has a stigma attached to its name, but I've found that it's not about the reputation of the school for such-and-such but what the student decides to think and do about it. You've probably heard this before, because I definitely have, too. However, it took until actually living on a college campus to truly understand this idea. A name only takes you so far; you need to be willing and ready to go after what you want. You see people who care and don't care about their education. Ones who are über involved in clubs and research and those who would rather party than study on the weekends. These are the types of people on pretty much every college campus, so again, the college you attend doesn't exactly define you. As it turns out, you define yourself. Imagine that.

No matter what, college isn't easy. It isn't high school anymore; professors don't hold your hand. Your success in all you do depends on the effort you put into your studies and activities. Although I'm only a month in, I've realized that college really is more than academics. Here are some things that my friends and I have discovered so far.

1. Go to class

Pretty self-explanatory. You're wasting about $200 per class if you miss... and that's at a public school. Just a thought.

2. Don't isolate yourself

Sometimes all you want to do is study for that upcoming exam, but taking a mental health break is important to maintain your sanity. Spending time with friends does wonders for your mood. It's a nice mental release when all you've been doing is staring at a computer screen for hours. Your eyes will thank you later.

3. Handling rejection positively is one key to success

The only way to succeed is to learn how to fail. Picking yourself up from failure shows you how to do better next time. As they say, you learn more from failing than you do from succeeding.

4. It is possible to eat heathy in college

It’s expensive, but possible. God bless gluten free options.

5. Bus systems are life

Walking is great, but not after you’ve had a twelve-hour day. When you see the bus coming, you know you're almost back to your dorm. Hallelujah.

6. When given the option, get more dining dollars than cafeteria swipes

No joke. It’s not that the cafeteria food isn’t good (but it isn’t great either), it's more so the fact that buffet style can get a little much. Dining dollars are paying for convenience, but it's exactly that, convenient. Plus, you know people haven't been breathing and sneezing on your food.

7. Get out of your comfort zone

Try out clubs. Do things you wouldn’t have thought about in high school. Great things happen outside your comfort zone. New niches form and great experiences start.

8. Don't be afraid to text people

If you want to hang out with people, don’t be afraid to text! Easier said than done, but who cares! It's a way to make friends. Whether it’s to go to eat or to save a seat in class, it’s worth it. If they don’t answer, it’s fine. There are plenty of other people out there. It's not going to be held against you for trying to branch out.

9. Making a schedule keeps you regimented

Not to mention less stressed. Getting homework done throughout the week leaves less for the weekend, and let's be real, everyone loves the weekend.

10. It's ok to not know what you are doing

Yeah, I’m a freshman, and I hate it sometimes. There are students walking around all dressed up, looking professional and established, and then there’s me. While they are going off to an internship, I'm questioning what I want to do with my life. I feel like I’m a baby with no purpose. The bright side is that no one really knows what they are doing as a freshman. Yay for the unknown!

11. Expect the unexpected

The best things happen when you least expect them. That being said, the worst things also happen when you least expect them, too. Gotta love exceptions.

12. You can live without television

It's great that people are better company than fictional TV shows. I know I may be an anomaly, but I've only watched Netflix twice so far. I have awesome floormates to thank for that.

13. Don't be afraid to call home

Parents miss their children. It’s a fact. Calling them makes their day and makes you feel better about yourself. They always know just what to say to calm you down.

14. You turn into a walking advertisement for your school

Literally, though. I feel I should be paid for it, but instead, I'm doing the opposite: I'm paying them for both an eductation and their attire. Figures.

15. Having fun doesn't always mean going out and partying

Staying back in the dorm to watch a movie with your friends can be just as fun as partying. It may not be as wild, but it sure results in a lot less regret the next morning. Plus, you can actually fully function the next day. These are the memories you can actually remember instead of being told about because, evidently, the night got the best of you.

16. You learn a lot about yourself

I guess this is what happens when you become “independent” and live away from your parents. You discover certain things mean more to you than others, and it’s interesting figuring these things out because it's your identity, and that's important.

17. You really do only keep in contact with your closest friends from high school

I didn't believe this, but it’s just too hard to keep up with everyone you were friends with throughout high school. The ones who mean a lot to you will stick around, no doubt. The others will be around, just not as close as they were before.

18. Joining clubs that you wouldn't have in high school is fun

A lot of cool clubs in college never existed in high school. There’s no one judging you if you want to try one, so why not? It's your life after all.

19. Don't be afraid to talk to advisors and professors: seek help if needed

That’s what they are there to do. Utilizing resources is so important to stay afloat, at least for me. Part of your tuition is going to their services, anyway. I would probably fail chem if I didn't reach out for help.

20. Doing laundry isn't hard

It’s actually kinda relaxing in a way. You feel productive. Plus, you have clean clothes to wear.

21. Be yourself

How cliché. It actually hurt me to list this, but it’s true. Making friends who like you for who you really are is priceless. They begin to know and care about you. They celebrate when you succeed and comfort you when you fail. At the end of the day, being authentic to who you are will make you the happiest. No need to put on a cool façade because 1) your friends respect who you are and 2) no one cares.

Although I've only been "adulting" for a little over a month now, it's beginning to feel normal. The newness of it all is quickly fading. For most freshmen, the first week was like going through fog. You didn't have any bearings and felt very confused. You want friends but you question if you remember how. It's a weird thought, but it happens. Then, a few weeks later, doubts creep in, and it's scary. There's no one there to figure it out for you because it's your own life; you have to reason through whatever it is yourself. That doesn't last long, though. You soon remember why you chose where you are now, and you realize that's exactly where you should be.