21 Signs You Grew Up In A Philly-Raised Family

Youse guys going down the shore this weekend?

915
visitphilly

Unlike my parents and the rest of my family, my sister and I were raised in a Philadelphia suburb. Apparently, as my parents told me all the time, Philly people do things a little different than suburban people (meaning me and my friends). When you’re young you really don’t pick up on the little things. Once you grow up, there are some things that you realize you may do or slightly differently, but you wouldn’t change a thing.

1. It’s “wer-ter” not “wa-ter”

The classic. No matter which way you say it, your family definitely says “wer-ter." When at family parties, you’re conflicted when everyone says, “Can I have a werter?” Do you go with the flow or show your suburbaness?

2. You call a Charlie-Horse a “Chalie-Horse”

I didn’t realize I was saying Charlie-horse “wrong” until this year. After all these years of saying “Chalie-Horse,” I was pronouncing it wrong all along… Thanks Mom and Dad!

3. Your parents are really picky about their cheesesteaks

I mean, Philly is the home of the best cheesesteaks, so, naturally, my parents know the difference between an ok and a really good cheesesteak. When they put ketchup on it, you know it’s bad.

4. You've heard “Yous” or “Youse guys” and “Ain’t got none” a lot

Some people cringe at such bad grammar. To you, it’s not only normal, but also grammatically acceptable.

5. Talking really fast and loud is normal for you

It’s pretty crazy how many words can come out of your mouth in such a short amount of time, especially when you’re angry or upset. It can be a gift or a curse. Thank all the time spent at the dinner table trying to keep up with the conversations.

6. You grew up with Dippy Eggs

For the longest time you thought dippy eggs was it’s own thing. Nope, it’s actually called eggs over easy, but dippy eggs is so much more fun to say.

7. Every party is a big family party

Lots of food. Lots of people. Lots of noise. Lots of people you don’t know.

8. Sarcasm

is a second language

It’s how your family communicates. Some people think you’re serious, and you have to stop and explain that it’s sarcasm. The nerve of some people!

9. Never go anywhere empty handed

This might just be old school parenting, but you're not allowed to go somewhere without food. Even if you have to the food store to buy a bag of chips, you will because you will have your mom nagging in the back of your mind.

10. “I’m going to The Ac-a-me do you need anything?”

I thought it was just Acme….

11. You know a lot of high school sweethearts

You feel like all your family members dated in high school because they did. Can you imagine that nowadays? Haha good joke.

12. Going “down the shore” is usually the summer family vacation

Without a doubt, there are definitely childhood photos of you at the shore. The beach, the ice cream, the boardwalk. When you think of childhood summers, you think of the shore.

13. “Did jeet?” is a household phrase

Because saying “Did you eat” is too many syllables.

No matter how many times you say you're full, your family still wants you to eat.

14. Religiously watching the Eagles every Sunday

Seriously though… It’s a sin to miss an Eagles game no matter how bad they are that year. Also, no talking, either, unless you want to be screamed at to be quiet and to get out of the room.

15. Your family absolutely hates the Dallas Cowboys

Why? I don’t know the reason behind the rivalry; I’m just doing what I’m told so as not to be ostracized.

16. You’ve definitely had an Italian hoagie from a local deli

Forget Wawa. Nothing beats going to an Italian deli for an Italian hoagie. Makes sense right?

17. Always reuse leftovers

Wasting food is a sacrilege. There’s always something you can do with last night’s dinner.

18. You hear a lot about certain streets, Catholic schools, and last names.

When your family meets someone from Philly, they ask what street they grew up on, their last name, where they went to high school, and what year they graduated. Who knew you could find out so much information from just four questions?

19. Being really partial to Philly soft pretzels

New York soft pretzels are terrible compared to Philly soft pretzels. You couldn’t go a soccer season without someone’s parents bringing a bag of soft pretzels for the team.

20. There's always scrapple and pork-roll in the house

If you weren’t introduced to scrapple as a child, it’s probably disgusting, and the way it’s packaged doesn’t make it the most appetizing food in the aisle. However, if your family was from Philly scrambled eggs, scrapple, porkroll, and toast is something they order at the diner or just make for family breakfast.

21. You know to value and appreciate hard work and never accept anything less

Raised by a family of hard workers, it’s expected of you to work just as hard, if not even harder. Working for what you earn is much more gratifying than having it handed to you. Your family wants the best for you and will tell you when you’re slacking. You listen and work harder to make your family proud, but most of the time, they are already proud of you… you just don’t know it