21 Lessons Learned By 21 | The Odyssey Online

21 Lessons Learned By 21

Celebrating with more than beer, a lesson for every year.

31
21 Lessons Learned By 21
Courtney Eble

The clock strikes 12 and we all go wild. Shooting champagne and jumping for joy as I make the most of my first minute being 21. You can all use your imaginations for how the night went from there, but after waking up with one heck of a hangover the next morning, I decided to do something more meaningful to celebrate. A list of 21 things I've learned that have helped make me the person I am today...

1. Quality over quantity: As we grow up people come and go though our lives making it crucial to understand that it's not the number of people in our lives that matter, but rather the quality of the people by our side. Whether it's one or 20, cherish each of them.

2. Being busy is good: "Live it up" while you are young. These are some of the best years of your life, so seize every opportunity and adventure that comes your way.

3. With that being said, travel now, worry later: there is no price tag on adventure. Big or small if it’s at all feasible just go for it! Money doesn’t last forever but memories will.

4. Don’t rush into adulthood. Stop wishing your life away hoping for the next stage of life because within the blink of an eye you’ll be 90 years old in a nursing home. Every stage of life comes with new and exciting experiences so take each as it comes and make the most of it.

5. Forgive doesn’t mean forget; although a lot of people in my life hold grudges, I choose to free myself from that stress and forgive those that hurt me. Just because I forgive doesn’t mean that I forget, but I choose to look past it and to a brighter future. I encourage you to do the same.

6. Change is a good thing. Although change can be scary, listen to your heart. Once you take the leap of faith the “what if” weight will forever be lifted off your shoulders.

7. Grades do not define you. Just because you have a 4.0 doesn’t mean you are a nerd and just because you have a 2.0 doesn’t mean you’re dumb. School is different for all of us; some are naturally smart and others have to put in double the time in addition to everyone’s priorities being different. Give it your best and that’s all that matters.

8. School is not forever; it may feel like we are in school forever, but if you look at the grand scheme of things most of us are only in school for one-fourth of our lives. All the hard work will pay off just keep chugging along.

9. Every day is a blessing, even the bad ones. When you are caught up in drama, stressed out, sad, and seemingly having the worst day ever, just embrace that you are alive. Too many lives are taken too soon and every day we wake up is a blessing. Even if it’s not the best day there is always something to be thankful for.

10. Long distance friendships: you may not talk every week or month but there are some friends that enter your life that never leave your heart regardless of how much you see or hear from them. You know that no matter what, they have your back and you have theirs. Don’t forget about them.

11. Mistakes aren’t a bad thing. Everybody makes mistakes (cue Hannah Montana) but seriously…mistakes aren’t a bad thing if you take the time to learn from them. I believe that everything happens for a reason and that my mistakes have helped me become the strong person I am today.

12. Make new friends and keep the old: Whether your day one friends like it or not, it's okay to make new friends. Each friend has a different portion of my heart and I believe it is important to have people from all aspects of your life that you cherish. Home friends, high school friends, sports friends, dance friends, college friends, work friends, the list goes on and on, they all rock.

13. Splurging on food is worth every penny: “Mom I think my credit card got stolen I have no money and I didn’t even buy any clothes…. well I did get sushi with the girls and half price apps after that test, oh and date night pasta…never mind.” Still worth it.

14. Earning your own money is the best feeling; not having to beg your parents for money and instead being able to spoil them with lunch dates, flowers and food is the best feeling in the world.

15. It’s OK to say no. As a person who takes on “too much” sometimes, it took me a long time to learn that when I say “no” I’m not letting people down. No one can take on the world by themselves and that as much as I’d like to, I’ve realized that I can’t do it all. Learning to prioritize and say “no” has helped me excel in the things I’ve said “yes” to.

16. Chivalry is NOT dead. I am lucky enough to have a boyfriend that proves the fact chivalry is not dead. “Just because” dates, unplanned adventures, holding doors, complementing me, and my favorite… cooking me endless meals. Girls, don’t settle for anything less than the best, you deserve it.

17. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Friends, family, and even strangers are always here to help. No question is dumb and no favor is too big, so don’t be afraid to reach out!

18. It’s OK not to be OK: Although I pride myself on being positive and strong there are days that I know it's OK not to be OK. Sometimes a good cry is what it takes. It is important to find those things and people in our lives that can be our release from hard times and comfort us when everything is not OK.

19. Family is forever: Your FOMO (fear of missing out) may be raging because you are missing a huge party for your little cousins dance recital, but family is forever. Making time for my parents, brother, cousins and the rest of the fam-squad is something I will forever cherish. They are my first and forever best friends.

20. Anyone can change the world: Often times we think that only the famous, powerful, and wealthy can change the world…FALSE! We all have the power to make the world a better place each day. It’s as simple as sharing our smile, holding the door, and passing it forward.

21. Lucky is an understatement: For 21 years I have had family and friends constantly supporting me through my struggles, triumphs, sicknesses, and all the good times as well. Every day is not perfect, I do not have it all, but I could not be more blessed and grateful for everything that I do have. To say I am lucky is an understatement.