21 Lessons I've Learned Since Turning 21

But I don't wanna grow up.

48

Turning 21 is something we all wait our whole lives for. We no longer worry about finding older individuals to buy us alcohol, and our license finally becomes vertical. We no longer have to worry about our fake getting taken at the bar, and we can finally legally drink the alcohol we have already been consuming for years. So what is the big deal actually? Honestly, one of the biggest accomplishments of turning 21 is surviving all the mistakes leading up to this day. Not only are you able to legally drink at 21, but you have officially peaked into adulthood, are likely halfway through your college career and still have so much more to learn. Being 21 can teach you some valuable life lessons.

1. Not everyone you thought was meant to be a part of your life is meant to stay there.
  2. Change is inevitable, and it is OK.
  3. What has happened in your past, does not determine your future.
  4. Always, always, always, carry cash to the bar for drinks and especially cover fees.
  5. Dwelling on the small things is anything but beneficial.
  6. Beer before liquor, never sicker. Liquor before beer, you’re in the clear.
  7. Time will tell all.
  8. Finding an important job is a lot more difficult.
  9. Perfection does not exist.
  10. Naps will become part of your daily routine.
  11. Loving yourself before learning to love someone else is extremely important.
  12. There will be people you come across in life you do not get along with, tolerate them as best you can.
  13. There is no sense in wasting time on people who wouldn’t waste it on you just the same.
  14. It’s ok to stay in every now and then and enjoy a night of Netflix and relaxation.
  15. But, it’s also ok to go out on a Thursday when you have an 8am on Friday-it’s all about moderation.
  16. It’s ok to eat those foods that aren’t good for you every once in awhile.
  17. Family will have your back always.
  18. Everything will work out the way it is supposed to, even if it doesn’t seem so right now.
  19. Tinder may not always be the best route to find a future significant other.
  20. Don’t be afraid to go out and try new things and meet new people along the way.
  21. The best thing you can do for yourself is keep moving forward, the best is yet to come.