21 Ice Cream Flavors Michiganders Love

21 Ice Cream Flavors Michiganders Love

It's worth every penny.

1557
21 Ice Cream Flavors Michiganders Love
Ben White

It's about to heat up, Summer is just around the corner.

A few days ago, I walked into my school's convenience store and bought an overpriced pint of ice cream. Although it was money off of my pre-paid school account, I felt a little guilty for spending almost five dollars on it. That is, until I took the first bite of the ice cream today. It was simply a bite of heaven and a reminder that Summer brings more opportunities to enjoy these sweet treats.

Being from Michigan, Scooperman and Bear Hug have a different meaning than they would in any other state.

1. Michigan Deer Traxx

Michigan Deer Traxx is exactly the same as Moose Tracks. Deer Traxx is the "jack of all trades" for ice cream flavors. It involves vanilla ice cream, huge chunks of hardened fudge, and mini peanut butter cups.

2. Scooperman

Now, I know that might sound weird for non-Michiganders, but this is simply Superman ice cream with our fun name. Scooperman blends blue moon, lemon, and red soda. Trust me, it is the strangest combination, but tastes good and looks even better!

3. Sleeping Bear Dunes Bear Hug

Bear Hug is my brother's personal favorite. Bear Hug is a tough ice cream to find. I remember looking at multiple stores just to find Bear Hug for my brother's birthday almost every year! Bear Hug is chocolate ice cream with chocolate covered cashews and caramel swirls. Also, it originated in Michigan!

4. Checkered Flag

This is my absolute favorite ice cream ever made. I was first intrigued because my Poppy was a huge NASCAR fan. Checkered Flag ice cream is just vanilla and chocolate checkered throughout the carton. It's simple, yet the best ice cream I've ever tasted. Again, very difficult to find.

5. Tiger Traxx

Tiger Traxx was named after the famous and beloved Detroit Tigers. It is vanilla ice cream, chocolate covered pretzels, and ripples of fudge. The awesome thing about this ice cream is that the pretzels are covered with an orange colored candy coating, a Tiger team color.

6. Mint Chocolate Chip

This is mint ice cream mixed with chocolate chips and liquid fudge.

7. Cookies N' Cream

Cookies N' Cream tastes just like a Double Stuff Oreo dipped in a tall glass of milk.

8. Neapolitan

Neapolitan ice cream is vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry ice cream in one carton! The nice thing about this is that each is in its own section so you can pick out what you like.

9. Cookie Dough

Cookie Dough is one of my top favorites. Cookie Dough is amazing on its own and then they add ice cream and extra chocolate chips. Creamy vanilla ice cream mixed with frozen cookie dough chunks and chocolate chips is definitely good for every occasion.

10. Mackinac Island Fudge

Named after Mackinac Island, located in between Michigan's Upper and Lower Peninsulas, this ice cream is vanilla ice cream with ripples of liquid fudge and chunks of fudge.

11. Vanilla

Who can go wrong with a classic and base for so many other tasty flavors?

12. Strawberry Cheesecake

This ice cream is actually made of cheesecake flavored ice cream for the base and streaks of strawberry sauce for the rest.

13. Chocolate

Again, one of the classics.

14. Grand Traverse Bay Cherry Fudge

Traverse City, Michigan is the cherry capital of the world. This ice cream is sweet and flavorful. Chunks of real cherries, amaretto flavored ice cream, and ripples of fudge make up this great choice.

15. Butter Pecan

Double the pecan in this flavor! It is made of roasted pecans and pecan flavored ice cream for the nut lover.

16. Brownie Batter

This was the ice cream I paid over four dollars for, and it was worth every penny. A chocolate based ice cream, with brownie pieces, chunks of fudge and caramel!

17. Rainbow Sherbet

Technically, it isn't an ice cream, but deserves to be on this list. This is a mix of raspberry, lime and orange sherbets.

18. Coffee Lovers

I don't like coffee, but I can only imagine that it tastes like an iced cappuccino. Made of roasted coffee flavored ice cream, with chocolate chips, I believe it would be a "Coffee Lover's" Dream.

19. Grand Hotel Summer Celebration

This ice cream is named after the Hotel on Mackinac Island, The Grand Hotel, "America's Summer Place." Fourth of July is a sacred holiday in my family, so I was caught by the red, white and blue colors on the packaging. It is vanilla ice cream with raspberry and blueberry sherbet!

20. Rocky Road

Rocky Road is unique in a way that is marshmallow. Rocky Road symbolized the failed infrastructure in Michigan. Chocolate ice cream, marshmallow filling and chocolate covered almonds, is definitely the way to go.

21. Salted Caramel

Sweet vs. Salty. This way you don't have to decide, a true best of both worlds. Salted caramel ice cream with swirls of caramel.

As you can tell, I love ice cream. Many of my memories of Summer involved holding an ice cream cone in my hand. On the humid days in Summer, you can expect the local ice cream shop to be packed, but it's always worth the wait.