10 Lessons My 20th Year Taught Me

10 Lessons My 20th Year Taught Me

The ten important lessons I learned as a 20-year-old

250
10 Lessons My 20th Year Taught Me
Haley Trimble

I turn 21 in about a month, and it is crazy to look back and see how much I have grown since last year. Here are some of the important things I have learned in my 20th year :)

1. Be straightforward

The biggest thing that complicates friendships and relationships is miscommunication. Stop playing games! Being straightforward saves time and confusion. Your feelings are always valid.

2. Stop fearing what other people think

This will slowly kill you! Just do you. Fearing rejection will prevent you from living your life to the fullest... bold moves only!

3. You cannot put your EVERYTHING into EVERYTHING

I am very guilty of putting way too much on my plate and then completely stressing out. It is impossible to do everything, and not everything you do will be perfect. Do the best you can, and that is always good enough.

4. Your worth cannot be defined by others

Do not let that boy make you feel like you're not good enough. Do not let the number of likes on your photo make you think there is something wrong with you. Self-love is a difficult process, but it is so essential to happiness. Sometimes life makes us feel like sh*t, but always remember you are THE sh*t.

5. Experiences are always better than materials

Material things bring a lot of short-term happiness or confidence, but our memories will always remain in our experiences. Spend your money on a concert, not a shirt.

6. You are stronger than you think

You have made it through every single bad day you have ever had. You have climbed every mountain that has come your way. You got this.

7. Physical and mental health are SO important

Take care of yourself. No assignment, no relationship, no obligation is as important as your health. Drink water. Talk to a therapist. Do what you need to do for you.

8. Good or bad, everything is an experience

If you think of every circumstance, challenge, or mistake as an EXPERIENCE, life will seem a lot less sucky. College is all about experiences. The outcome of hurting is always growth.

9. Everyone is struggling in one way or another

Sometimes life makes us feel really lonely, even when we're surrounded by others. Sometimes life makes us feel like we are the only ones going through hard times. But trust me, you are not alone. Everyone is dealing with their own challenges. Speak up!

10. Find the light, or become it

The easy way out is to sit in a bad situation and be upset. This will get you nowhere. Let it hurt, then let it heal. There is always a little bit of light in every dark circumstance, and if you cannot find it, then you must choose to become it. Remember, you become what you think about. Life goes on, and you have to choose to move with it.