A Full Recap Of The 2016 World Series | The Odyssey Online

A Full Recap Of The 2016 World Series

And this one belongs to the Cubs!

427
A Full Recap Of The 2016 World Series

Unfortunately, baseball season has come to an end but the 2016 World Series was definitely the most memorable. The past two weeks have been filled with excitement, stress, and a fair share of historical moments. For those who followed, no matter what team you were cheering for the entire series kept everyone on the edge of their seats. The series was between the Chicago Cubs and the Cleveland Indians. The Cubs were fighting to end a 108-year World Series drought, the longest Championship drought in baseball history. Whereas the Indians were trying to claim their World Series rings after a 68 year gap between their last championship. This series was extremely emotional, and here are seven reasons why:

Game 1

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 game one was played in Cleveland, Ohio at Progressive Field home of the Cleveland Indians. This game was the start of the 2016 World Series, and was a quality start to the series for the Cleveland Indians. The Indians rallied up 10 hits throughout the entire game, earning six runs. Highlights include: Roberto Perez’s solo home run in the bottom of the 4th inning and his three run home run in the bottom of the 8th. The Chicago Cubs were able to obtain seven hits, but were unable score any runs. But Cubs star, Kyle Schwarber made a remarkable comeback to the lineup after a torn ACL early in the season. Indians take game one winning 6-0.

Game 2

Game two took place on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at Progressive Field. The Cubs started off the game strong scoring in the top of the first off a double from Anthony Rizzo, scoring teammate Kris Bryant; Bryzzo for the win! The Cubs ended up scoring four more runs throughout the game. Highlights include: Ben Zobrist’s deep line drive to right landing Zo at third base for a triple and two singles to the outfield from Kyle Schwarber. On the other hand, the Indians had a rough game, scoring only one run in the bottom of the 6th off of a wild pitch thrown by the Cubs pitching expertise, Jake Arrieta. Cubs win game two 5-1.

Game 3

Switch of scenery, the clubs take on Wrigley Field, home of the Chicago Cubs on Friday, October 28,2016. After one day of rest, the two teams were neck and neck until the top of the7th inning when the Cleveland Indians mark the board with a right field single off Coco Crisp. Indians win 1-0.

Game 4

Saturday, October 29, 2016 the two teams face off at Wrigley for game four of the series. The Cubs hoping to win at home, Indians hoping to gain a big lead in the series. The Cubs struck the scoreboard first in the bottom of the 1st from a single off the hot bat of Anthony Rizzo. Fast forward top of the 2nd inning, Carlos Santana of the Cleveland Indians hit a solo shot to right field. Later that inning, Corey Kluber singled to third scoring Lonnie Chisenhall. The Indians bats were on fire, scoring seven runs before the end of the game. Cubs ended up scoring only two runs. Highlights include: three run homer from the Indians second basemen, Jason Kipnis and Cubs center fielder, Dexter Folwer’s solo shot to left in the bottom of the 8th. Indians win, 7-2.

Game 5

Sunday, October 30, 2016 the teams take on game five at Wrigley Field. Indians were up 3-1 in the series hoping to clinch the World Series title. Cleveland scored first, after a solo homerun from Jose Ramirez. The Cubs weren’t done fighting for the title, scoring three in the bottom of the 4th. Highlights include: Kris Bryant homer to center, Addison Russell single to third scoring Rizzo and advancing Zobrist, and a David Ross sac fly scoring Zobrist. The Indians ended up scoring one more in the top of the 6th, but weren’t able to make a comeback. Cubs win 3-2, winning their last season home game at Wrigley. After a three game series in Chicago, the teams head back to Cleveland with the Indians up 3-2.

Game 6

The teams are back at Progressive Field to take on Game six on Tuesday, November 1, 2016. The Cubs still weren’t done fighting, scoring three in the top of the first, four in the 3rd, and two in the 9th. Highlights include: Kris Bryant solo shot to center, Addison Russell grand slam to center, aka Addison Muscle, and an Anthony Rizzo two-run homerun to right. Indians ended up scoring only 3. Cubs take the win, 9-3. Both teams tied in the series, 3-3.

Game 7

Game seven certainly had everyone on their feet; last game of the series, and winner takes all and is crowned the World Champion. Game seven was played on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at Progressive Field with the series tied up 3-3. Cubs started off strong with a leadoff homerun from center fielder, Dexter Fowler. Wasn’t until the bottom of the 3rd inning when the Indians tied it up 1-1 with a single to drive in Coco Crisp off the bat of Carlos Santana. Top of the 4th, Cubs said no way. Two men on base, Addison Russell sent a sacrifice fly to center driving in run. Next batter, Wilson Contreras doubled sending in another run, Cubs up 3-1. Top of the 5th, Cubs stud, Javier Baez sent a solo homerun out to center field. Later that inning, Anthony Rizzo singled sending his baseball bestie, Kris Bryant into score. Bottom of the 5th, Indians score off a wild pitch, Cubs still up 5-2. Top of the 6th, David Ross, aka Grandpa Rossy, couldn’t end his MLB career without a solo shot to center. What a great way to say goodbye to baseball! Bottom of the 8th is when it all fell down for the Cubbies. After a double scoring one, Rajai Davis sent a two run blast of flamethrower, Aroldis Chapman, to left field tying the game at 6-6. Once the 9th inning ended, rain started to fall resulting in a 17-minute rain delay. If this game wasn’t intense enough, the rain delay and extra innings definitely made everyone more anxious. Top of the 10th, Cubs up, two men on base, MVP, Ben Zobrist doubled to left field scoring one. Next batter, Miguel Montero singled to left scoring Rizzo from third. Going into the bottom of the 10th, Cubs lead 8-6. Indians’ star, Rajai Davis decided his night wasn’t over, singling to center with two outs and scoring one. Next batter, Michael Martinez, grounds out to third ending the game with a throw to first, Cubs win 8-7.

This seven game series was definitely an emotional one. The Cubs broke the 108 year curse with the help of manager, Joe Madden and all of the pitching, hitting, and other staff who trained and coached them to be World Series Champions. After a world record season, averaging over .500 with over 100 wins during the regular season, the Cubs definitely earned their trophy. Congratulations to the Chicago Cubs organization, you made history and are now World Champions!