Twenty Underrated Films You Have To See

Twenty Underrated Films You Have To See

125
Twenty Underrated Films You Have To See

I'm a cinephile, meaning, I love movies. I live, breathe, talk film. I guess it makes sense that I have a minor in film studies. I'm kind of a movie nerd, if I'm going to be honest. I'm always researching, digging up and trying to find new films that I think I might like. Horror, drama, comedy, romance, you name it. I love anything and everything, basically. However, there are a few films out there that are completely underrated in my opinion . . . and that contains the following.

1. Little Miss Sunshine

I first saw this movie when I was eighteen years old. After watching it, I couldn't believe that I had never seen it before. There are so many special and iconic parts in the film, including heartfelt ones, focused on a dysfunctional family, as well as purely humorous ones. I don't want to give any spoilers, but you just need to go and watch this film. It's by far one of my favorites. And if you like Jonathon Dayton's and Valerie Faris' work, then you will approve. Bonus: It has Steve Carell in it. You'll know it's good, then.

2. Another Earth

I heard about this movie when I was looking up different film trailers on YouTube a few years ago. It's definitely more of an intense, thinking kind of film that leaves you appreciating a lot of things in your life; that's how it was for me anyway. The movie is more than just about how human discover that there is a replica of earth floating around: it's about looking back at ourselves and reflecting our mistakes. The soundtrack is incredibly beautiful, and the cinematography is breathtaking, and includes a lot of spectacular angles. Give it a try.

3. Melancholia

You need to be in a certain mood to watch this film: preferably low-key, tired, or already kind of sad... which makes sense with the title of the film because the emotions that are radiated from it are exactly that. It's for sure a very beautiful film, done by Lars Von Trier, and again, the soundtrack is equally beautiful: haunting and elegant. It took me awhile to adjust into the film, because it made me feel kind of depressed, but I looked past that and only saw a really good movie that is very underrated in my opinion.

4. Dan In Real Life

Anddddd, taking a total detour from the film above, Dan In Real Life is opposite of Melancholia in all certain ways. This is by far one of my favorite movies ever, an absolute pick me up when I am feeling sad. It's just too good - and I think Steve Carell, who also stars in this, gives off an amazing performance. I feel that he most forgotten for this movie, and that's why it's more underrated. If you're in the mood to watch something that'll make you smile, watch this one. I'll guarantee you'll love it.

5. Daydream Nation

To be honest, I was kind of turned off by this movie when I first saw it, but then again, I was seventeen. There was so much to this movie that I missed because when I watched it again at twenty, I saw more to it than I did the first time around. It may look like your typical "girl in a new town/high school/teenager/partying and drugs rebellion type of movie, but what I like about it is that it digs deeper than that. It sort of reminded me of the film Palo Alto, except I liked this one much more.

6. Moonrise Kingdom

If you've never seen a Wes Andersen film, then you are missing out. One of the things that jumped out to me in this film was the color work. There is a sort of 1960s/1970s vintage vibe to it that is exciting and gorgeous. Everything jumps out at the audience, in color, in character and in the plot itself. This movie is basically awesome because it has Jason Schwartzman and Bill Murray in it.

7. Starlet

I loved this film. It was really heartbreaking for me, and yes, I cried a few times. If you watch it then you'll understand why. Drea Hemingway - the leading female character - shines in this film, along side (other woman name) and their chemistry on camera just works, which makes the movie more believable and emotional.

8. Compliance

This movie is based off of true events that happen in the United States, which made it more thrilling and nerve-wracking. You'll have to watch the film and find out why. It's definitely suspenseful, cringe worth and intense, and the acting is very convincing... but it's a must watch.

9. In Your Eyes

This movie was written by Zoe Kazan herself, who also started in Ruby Sparks. I wasn't sure about this film because the trailer looked like it would be kind of a slow movie - but I was very much wrong on that one. It's a sweet, moving, and believable film with a touch of fantasy and so much romance, and it's not corny at all. It's unique in it's way that portrays the magical romance between boy and girl.

10. Lars and The Real Girl

If you're in the mood to have your heart break, go watch this film. Ryan Gosling is such an adorable sweetheart in it, and it makes me want to go up and give him a giant hug. And hopefully, I'm not giving too many spoilers, but I guess warning you on total heart break isn't one of the them. Get the Kleenex, because I warned you. This is one of my favorite movies in the entire universe because it's heartwarming and relatable. Gosling, who stars as Lars in this film, said it best in an interview: "I don't think it's just me. I think there's a lot of Lars in a lot of us." I guess you'll have to find this movie and see what he means and if you agree.

11. Like Crazy

I love this movie because it portrays how an actual relationship works. It doesn't sugar coat anything, and it delves into how being in love with someone can be so good, but can hurt so much. It attracted me to it's realistic scenes, terrifyingly heartbreaking, bittersweet and euphoric: all of the things that can happen in a relationship that seems too perfect. What I loved about it is that anyone who has been in a relationship with a great love, can relate. I can very much relate to it. Again, get the Kleenex. It's a great love story.

12. Little Birds

This film obtains one of my favorite specified film genres: lost innocence. Not only does this movie have an AMAZING soundtrack, but it's poetic and beautiful. I loved how honest it was, and how it depicted the scary reality of adulthood and trying to "grow up too fast." It peeks into the lives of poverty-ridden teenagers living in a town called Salton Sea and their desperate need to escape, and their wanderlust is portrayed in ways that I think we all can relate, teenager or not.

13. Lost in Translation

I just watched this film the other day and I instantly fell in love with it. I could relate to one of the the main characters, Charlotte, and her uncertainty of where she was going in life (minus her recent marriage, because I am obviously not married). But nonetheless, it was beautiful. Her newly formed friendship with a man she meets on a business trip is heartwarming and special, and you can see that in the film itself. There's nothing much more I can say but go see it.

14. The End of Love

Kleenex, again. I'm not saying anything else, besides it's sad as all get out. And it involves a widowed man and his adorable two year old child. Yes, you will sob. Yes you will probably hate me for recommending it to you, but it's worth the tears. Go see it.

15. Submarine

Another adolescent-stuck-in this world-kind of film. Most of the reasons why I love the movies on this lists, is because of the soundtrack that helps weave them together. And that's how it is with this film, the soundtrack is incredible. (Alex Turner of Arctic Monkeys anyone?) This movie will make you feel like you're fifteen again, and falling in love for the first time. It's just too good. I recommend 100 percent.

16. The One I Love

What I loved most about this movie is it's originality. It's funny, a little bit dark in my opinion, but light at the same time. If you like Mark Duplass and a touch of fantasy genre, then give this movie a go, because he's totally awesome in this... as well as charming.

17. Obvious Child

This movie! This movie is controversial as it is sarcastic and witty and wonderful! The dialogue in this movie is too perfect and that's actually the main reason why I like it. Like most issues in the world, Jenny Slate takes a certain touchy issue (I will not give it away, you'll have to watch it) and makes light of it. Why? Because she can. The way she does it, though, just works and it makes sense and will hopefully give you a new perspective on things. Definitely a unique film worth watching.

18. The Way, Way Back

This movie is probably one of my favorite movies in the entire world, if I'm being honest. I could relate to it, which is one of the reasons why it won me over. Again, Steve Carell does an amazing job as an absolute d-bag in this film, and is completely convincing.

19. Ruby Sparks

This film is my life. Okay, not completely because it is fantasy, and I am not a man named Calvin. But still, this film is a work of pure art. I first saw the trailer for this film at a movie theater, and my mom looked at me and say, "This movie is so up your alley," and she was right. If you're an author, you'll love this movie. If you're in love with someone, you'll love this movie. If you're heartbroken, you'll love this movie. Or, if you're not any of those things... I'm pretty sure you'll appreciate this movie either way.

20. Crystal Fairy and The Magical Cactus

Okay, okay, okay. I'm not just putting this in the list because Michael Cera stars in the film. I genuinely believe it is such a good movie and deserves some more recognition. The man who directed and wrote the film, Sebastian Silva, is very much an underrated artist in the film industry. This movie captures real human emotion, such as feeling like we have to cut ourselves off from the rest of the world because we're afraid . . . and the relationships with have with other people as we grow. The shots were also beautiful, as they were captured in Chile.