20 Tips For Incoming College Freshmen | The Odyssey Online

20 Tips For Incoming College Freshmen

Get ready to experience the best years of your life.

62
20 Tips For Incoming College Freshmen
Caliber

College years are the best years. You can rebuild yourself in a matter of seconds, and you make new friends within the first day of being in a brand new place. Being a freshman means a lot of positive changes, but it also means a whole lot of adaptation. As a college senior, I look back on my freshman year fondly because I met all of my closest friends, learned to be spontaneous, became even more of a caffeine addict, and pulled my very first all-nighter. Some of my best memories were made during freshman year, and I learned more academically and socially than I ever thought I would. So here are some tips that helped me, and will help you, have the best freshman year possible!

Here are 20 tips for incoming college freshmen:

1. Get involved.

Whether it be intramural teams, on-campus ministries, Greek life, or other university organizations, you will never regret getting involved in a team or club that interests you! Plus, you will meet so many people who love the same things you do. This is why org fairs and opening week events are so crucial. Go to all of them!

2. Talk to strangers

Meeting new people can be intimidating, but it can also be exciting. Even if you don't consider yourself a social butterfly, the truth is most of the students around you don't either. I met far more introverts my freshman year than extroverts, and most of those introverts became some of my best friends. Talk to everyone you meet. Trust me; you won't regret it.

3. Take good notes

The key to getting the most out of your classes is taking good notes. Look up note-taking methods on Pinterest, and splurge on school supplies before you move! You can never have enough pens, notebooks, and highlighters. Plus, the more colored pens, post-its, and highlighters you have, the more color-coded your notes can be, and organization is very important in the world of note-taking.

4. Learn how to study

College is not like high school, and, no matter how many AP classes you took, nothing truly prepares you for the rigor of college classes. That being said, good study habits can help! If you're used to studying well in high school, great! Keep up the good work! But if you never really learned how to study, learn now. Stock up on note cards, and find a solid group of study partners in all of your classes, and, once the first test rolls around, you won't even feel stressed.

5. Go to professors' office hours

If you don't feel like you're understanding the material, and no amount of studying is helping you, go to your professor's office hours. They aren't monsters, and they won't hurt you. They are there to help, and most professors actually take note of the students who visit their office. Showing an interest in your own grade in their class will put you a step above the rest, and some professors even bump students up a letter grade at the end of the semester for their pro-activeness.

6. Don't stay in your dorm

Even when it's too hot to be outside or too cold to be anywhere but indoors, don't stay in your dorm room. Go sit and study in the library or go eat and finish homework in the dining hall, instead. You never know when you'll meet your future best friend, so stay on campus as much as you can!

7. Don't visit your parents too much

It doesn't matter how cool your parents are. Don't visit home every weekend! Even if you feel like your parents miss you and want you to visit often, I promise that they want you to find your own friends at school just as much. Visiting home every weekend will detach you from your campus' events and the other students who stay on the weekends. Instead of driving, check your campus' weekend events calendar, get out there, and meet people!

8. Go to campus events

Look online and read the flyers posted in your residence hall for campus events like org fairs, movie nights, and homecoming week events. You'll meet so many people, and, at most of these events, they even give out free food or t-shirts!

9. Become a sports fan

Even if you hate sports, go to campus sporting events with friends! There's just something about rallying behind your college's football team that makes you feel like a true college student. Plus, like I said with campus events, you may even get a free t-shirt.

10. Learn to love coffee

If you've tried it before and hate it, try it again. If you've never tried it, try it. Coffee is liquid sunshine, people. Coffee...all of the coffee.

11. Learn to love your adviser

Your adviser is like your personal superhero. They save you from certain destruction all the time. Go see your adviser when you're feeling confused about your major, don't have a major yet, or want to switch majors. You may even go through all three of those stages...twice.

12. Don't take 8 a.m. classes.

Please don't. Just don't. You may think that since your high school classes started earlier that you can be awake at 8 a.m., but it's all a lie. Take it from someone who took an 8 a.m. her freshman year...and skipped it to sleep.

13. Say yes to spontaneous road trips

Road trips with friends are a blessing, and my first road trip happened in college. Whether the road trip is across the country or into the city, never say no to these opportunities.

14. Say yes to late nights out, even if you have class the next morning

And never say no to spontaneous nights out with friends. Even if your personal bedtime is 9:30 p.m., live a little. It's okay to pull an all-nighter in college because these are the only years your body will be young enough to cope.

15. But even when you're tired, go to class

It doesn't matter what you did the night before class; never skip it. The reason why tuition is so high is because every single class period is factored in, so if you miss one class, that's wasted money. Plus, class discussions are super important once test day comes, so be at every one.

16. Go to the gym

The freshman 15 is a real thing, but so is learning to eat healthy and keep your body in check. Whether you're working out to tone or just to stay healthy or whether you like running or barely know what Pilates is, do it at least a few times a week.

17. Netflix is your new bff

Just trust me on this one.

18. Cherish the dining hall, while you have it

The endless amounts of food and fountain drinks at the dining hall? You won't have that once you live off campus. Take advantage of people making your food for you while you still have that luxury.

19. Learn how to budget

Your wallet will thank you later.

20. And, most of all, have the time of your life

No matter where you go to college, remember that your education is important, but so is having fun. College gives you so much freedom, so figure out who you truly are. Learn how to paint, play the piano, or start a blog because you're allowed to remake yourself. Who you are is waiting for you, so go out there and find yourself!